Fair Isle Goof

As my first foray into fair isle knitting, I decided to knit this [COLOR=“MediumTurquoise”]scarf[/COLOR]. The scarf has been finished for some time with the exception of weaving in the loose yarn ends, which is a big task with fair isle knitting.

Everything appeared to be going just fine during the knitting. The pattern is mainly a repeat of 37 rows. Days after I finished, I discovered that the [B]first[/B] round of 37 rows [B]do not[/B] line up with the remaining repeats which line up [I]perfectly[/I] with each other. The first round is about 7 stitches off from the rest. :wall:.

I’m embarrassed to give this to someone who is already expecting to receive it. I’ve been wracking my brains to think of some way to fix it. It has just a regular cast on.

I could easily knit the beginning of the scarf again but I can’t think of any way to remove the first part of the scarf that is aligned incorrectly. I really don’t think a sort of permanent lifeline will help, for that only secures from the top not the bottom. Can’t think of a way to bind off the bottom.

Wish I could just rotate it a bit.:teehee: If I could remove the first part, I could just sew the two parts together with that stitch that looks like knitting (not Kitchener but the one where you sew a loop around the top part and then put the yarn in the middle of a stitch on the other part).

Am I just stuck with it as it is? Any comments would be really appreciated.

What a good looking scarf!
You could re-knit the last repeat and also offset it, call it a design feature or you could do as you say, and cut the yarn between the first repeat and the second. Then you can either re-knit the first repeat (upside down) or weave the two together. I would use Kitchener but if you have another way, go ahead and try it.
Here’s a tutorial that shows the basic technique for cutting and picking up loops.

The link to which you referred has techniques I have never imagined. That I can actually reknit the 1st part as if I had cast on provisionally is such an amazing option. And you think this will work with fair isle too?

OTOH, I might choose to reknit the last repeat and off set it. I’m on a time crunch, and this might be the faster way. Both ends will be balanced.

Your knowledge is vast.

THANK YOU!!!
:cheering:

Soolina

The best way to do this for fair isle, should you decide to go that way, is to pick a row that is all knit in one color…
Good luck with the scarf which is going to be spectacular!