Faggot stitch question

Hello!

I just had a quick question about faggot stitch (who on earth came up with that name by the way haha?)

I think I’m doing it right, but I’m not sure.

I cast on 18 stitches, and then knit on, but the thing is at after two rows I always end up with 20 stitches.

Are you supposed to start k1 yo1 etc again at the start of each row? Or does it go in cycles, say you yo1 at the end of the last row, does that mean you knit the first two of the next row together? It just doesn’t seem right that I keep ending up with 20 stitches.

Thanks so much!

Jessa.

I was intrigued by your question. So I googled it. The first link below shows some patterns with fagot (or faggot) stitches which is a style of knitting meant to bind sections together, like lacework. According to the patterns, it looks like you should always end each row with a consistent number of stitches. So each YO (or “made” stitch) has a corresponding decrease to it within the row (like a purl 2 tog or knit 2 tog)

www.knitting-and.com/homework/fagot-stitch.htm

And the other part of your question. I thought a faggot was a bundle of sticks (like one used to start a fire) or even a cigarette (I think the British use the term for cigarettes), and the link below gives all the current non-slang definitions. It is a bundle of sticks. I was surprised to find the term “Bouquet Garni” in there, which is a cooking ingredient, but is also a bundle of twigs or sticks used in cooking. The problem is, the word fagot has been around a long time and had a derogatory meaning attached to it more recently.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/fagot

noejusti

The pattern I see for fagot stitch is K1, YO, K2tog, so the first stitch of every row should be a knit one, and the last stitch of every row should be a k2tog (meaning there are two stitches at the end of the row). A row should never end a row with a YO, and there should always 18 stitches per row.

Perhaps you are skipping the k2tog a couple times along the row without realizing it?

Hope this helps!

knitabit