Extremely new, with a couple questions

:thinking: Hello. My name is Melissa. I am an experienced crocheter, and saw some knitting needles laying around tonight and decided to teach myself how to knit. I have to say the videos on this site helped me tremendously. However, I do have a couple questions. I am still working on the knit stitch. I have mastered casting on, and struggling with the knit stitch. I have been using the continental method. First, what do I do with the “tail” that is left over after casting on? Second, it seems that my last few stitches are VERY loose. What could I be doing wrong? And lastly, I have been practicing with a small ball of Red Heart worsted weight yarn. I am having trouble with getting all of the stitch, and having at least one ply of the 4 being “left behind” on the left hook. What is a good yarn to use to practice with? Thanks so much!

Melissa[color=darkblue][/color]

Welcome to knitting and the forum!

The tail can get woven in when you’re done. No biggie.

The loose stitch at the end of a row is very common because there’s only one side anchored. You’re not doing anything wrong, per se, just try to knit the first few stitches a bit tightly and it will snug up. Or another option is to just transfer the first stitch from the left to right needle without knitting it to tighten it up a bit.

The yarn you’re using should be find to work with. What size needles are you using? That could be a factor.

I can tell you’re a crocheter–you referred to your needle as your left hook. :wink:

:cheering: :cheering: Welcome Melissa :smiley: …looking forward to getting to know you as you continue on your knitting journey :wink:

Thanks Ingrid for the quick response. I can’t believe I called it a hook! LOL

I am using a size 9 needle, that’s the smallest I have right now. I will try what you said about just switching the last stitch over to tighten it up and see if that works! :o)

Melissa

You really want to avoid splitting the yarn. It’s most likely that your tension is too tight. After more practice you’ll loosen up and get a feel for where to put the tip of your needle in.

I have been practicing all night and day… :XX: well, at least till midnight last night, and for a couple hours this morning. I think I get the hang of the knit stitch. And I’m no longer having trouble with the yarn splitting. The only problem I seem to keep having, is that my last stitch still ends up being HUGE compared to the rest of them. I have tried what Ingrid suggested, and just tranferring that last stitch to the right needle without actually knitting it, and that doesn’t seem to help, just gets me confused as to where my first stitch on the next row is… :thinking:

Thanks!
Melissa

Don’t freak out about that end stitch. Mine are always bigger. Just ignore it and keep practicing, your tension will get better and it won’t be so noticeable.

Melissa, first of all, love the name, it’s my youngest DDs name too!

I taught myself to knit 2 years ago after more years than I will mention here crocheting. Tension is the one thing I had a VERY hard time with. I did dozens of dishcloths before I would even come close to not being too tight. I have problems with the loopy last stitch, and what Ingrid suggested is the best method. When beginning a row, right after turning your work, slip your first stitch and tighten up your yarn. Then knit across the row, including the last stitch. Turn your work and repeat. You will still end up with a loopy side edge, but it will be much cleaner than if you didn’t do the slip stitch. If you are seaming your project, those stitches will help you make a much neater seam as well.