Ending a row - beginner's question

Hi,

I have been trying to teach myself to knit using a book and this website. I am having a problem when I finish a row of knit stitches. This is kind of hard to describe, but I always end up with one stitch left over. I stick my needle through the last stitch on the needle, wrap the thread around, but then there is no stitch to pull over…

Kind of hard to describe, but hopefully someone will understand.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

CAthy

Do you mean when you’re binding off? Cut the yarn a few inches from the knitting and pull it through that final stitch. That is, if you are binding off.

If you’re still knitting the row, I’m not quite sure I understand.

I think I am having the same problem. I have taken some photos of what happens, the first is with the last two stitches, the second after you knit the second last stitch and then the last it what it looks like after I try to move the last stich on the row across, it just gets all loose and mangled…

If you’re still knitting, is the problem that your cast-on is too loose, therefore making that last stitch kind of big? It’s easy to have an extra stitch if you’ve used the long-tail cast on because it’s easy to forget that first loop. And sometimes that first loop is a bit bigger than the others. You can remedy the problem by knitting the last two stiches together.

I hope I’ve understood the problem. If not, keep explaining what’s going on–we’ll work it out!

well when I cast on they seem to be incredibly tight, I have to really push them along the needles to get them to move up and down the needle. The last cast-on (ok so that would be the very first one that was put on to the needle I think hehehe), just seems to grow when I get to it no matter how tight it was to begin with. I am a few stitched away from finishing the new row I started so I will try knitting the last two together and let you know if it works…

Witchy Mama (I love that name, btw!), the problem is a common one. You don’t want to cast on tightly, to be sure, so cast on like normal, add an extra stitch, and knit the last two together to get rid of that larger loop at the end. That should help a lot.

Which cast-on method do you use?

best thing about the name is no one else ever uses it so its always free for me LMAO.

I just tried doing the last 2 together and it all just fell off :roflhard: will try casting on again but not so tight. I was using the double cast-on method only because it was the first one of the videos on this site lol. Tonight is the first time I have ever tried this, so I am definatly a beginner.

:rofling: Well, it’s a GREAT name!!

Okay, keep using the long-tail cast-on. The problem with the last stitch (the first one you cast on) is that it doesn’t have the base stitch that the others have, so it will naturally be looser. What I do is when I cast on the second stitch, the first one with the base stitch, I scoot it as closely to the first one as I can to eliminate the big loop as much as possible.

If, after you’ve reached the end of the cast on process you see that the first stitch is still a bit big, cast on an extra stitch so that you can knit the last two together when you get to the end of the row.

Casting on takes practice. And I cannot say that my cast-on skills are to my liking yet, but I’m working on it :smiley:

thankyou thankyou, it is working, messy, but working :rollseyes:

:thumbsup:

The first few rows will look messy–just keep at it! :cheering: :cheering:

I will try knitting the last two stitches together. Thanks everyone for your ideas!

Cathy

Let us know if it works or not. If it doesn’t work, we’ll try another approach!