Dyeing a knitted blanket

Hello everyone!
I’ve recently finished knitting a large baby blanket. I’m happy with the finished product in terms of the actual knitting, but I’m annoyed with myself for not spotting a couple of rogue balls of yarn which had different lot numbers. It’s left me with an unintentionally stripey blanket!
The yarn is 70% acrylic / 30% merino.
Does anyone have any guidance for dyeing back to one uniform colour?
Many thanks in advance!
Mugs1979

Hi mugs1979 It really doesn’t look bad. If you look the picture it looks like it was intentionally done, the strips are pretty even so I don’t think I would bother to try and dye it.

I totally agree that it looks like you designed it that way. I like it! Sorry, I’m no help with the dyeing info you want.

I think it looks beautiful the way it is!

As for dying… I’m not sure it would work out well. Dying over a color is always hard. Even if you dye a darker blue it make still end up with the lighter parts lighter. I think I’d leave it and let it be a design feature.

1 Like

Gradient yarns are really popular. You got the gradient without paying extra. Lucky you!

1 Like

I’m with everyone else on just keeping it the way it is. Looks kind of cool (in the picture at least).

The real issue you’ll run into here is the acrylic in your yarn. That won’t dye at all; only the merino will. So if you try dyeing, you’re going to end up with a mottled color anyway. Which might obliterate the stripes, but might not be what you want. (There are a lot of “mights” in dyeing yarn!) If you have any yarn left, you could do a little of it to see what happens. Merino will dye with Kool-aid or icing colors.

2 Likes

I understood you could dye acrylic, but it had to be with chemical dyes… no? Even with though it’s likely the different stripe colors would not dye the same and you’d still end up with stripes, but of a different hue.

1 Like

Acrylic is basically plastic. You can’t dye it in the traditional sense because color won’t “absorb” into the fibers. You can do versions of painting (which isn’t very durable or permanent) and some super duper serious chemical stuff, but you can’t use all-purpose dyes (RIT), fiber reactive dyes (e.g., Procion) or acid dyes (Kool-aid, etc.) to actually color it.

You can use disperse dyes, which only give you pale/light colors, fairly safely at home. Or you can use cationic dye, which is pretty toxic and not really recommended for home use, but does give you bright/darker color.

I know it wasn’t what you expected, but I like how it looks!!

Knitcindy

1 Like

Mugs1979 bet you didn’t expect to get so many replies for what you thought was a mistake