Me again…
My next project is actually going to be the first thing I’m knitting for myself!! And I’m hoping to finish it before the Christmas season. This is the design which is free https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=12486&cid=19.
Now silly I’m the round knitting means a jog for fair isle ugh. I don’t know whether to just embrace it or try a way to reduce this jog. I am trying Patty’s way (https://www.moderndailyknitting.com/community/ask-patty-jogless-stranded-colorwork/) and with more practice I can see it working but experiencing gaps and bigger stitches. But just wondering if there’s any other tips??
2 Likes
That is a perfect holiday sweater! So you’ve tried slipping the last stitch worked back to the left needle and working it again with the color of the first stitch of the next round? Patti Lyons also mentions the helpful effect of blocking but it you don’t want to wait until then, try her other suggestion. Slightly tug the stitch and maybe some neighbors with a tapestry needle to even out the big stitches.
This is going to be a classic that you will love.
1 Like
Ooh, this looks lovely, and about time you made something for yourself!
The beginning of the round is mid back, no one is looking at it, especially at xmas, too focused on gifts and food!
My most recent sweater I’ve used the same method for jog avoidance and it worked so well, i only struggled if i had to tink back some as i had to remember what to do with the stitches.
I think your tension will probably improve in that stitch as you become more familiar with the technique, plus no one will notice, plus the redistribution of the extra yarn helps too if the slight change in tension does bother you. I worked up the column of mine with a tapestry needle and any particularly bothersome ones i shifted the yarn across to the next sts, if it seems a lot you just keep moving it, maybe sharing amongst 7 sts and they will all look even.
Do keep sharing your progress, it’s so lovely to see what you’re making.
2 Likes
Hello hello…so I gave up with the mittens and went back to this! 
Anyways I’m making pretty good progress and have nearly finished the fair isle pattern part. I’ll send an update picture soon.
I’m trying a different method to fix the jog which is similar but consists of at the end of the row just pulling up the last stitch from the previous row and knitting together and it seems to be working well. Just wondering though, after I finish the fair isle pattern and go back to knitting in one colour for the rest of the body do I have to still do the pulling up of the stitch? I’d think not but just wondering where exactly I should stop this method?
I’m so glad you’re going back to this sweater. It’s too good to leave in time out since its season is coming up soon.
You’re correct. Once the colorwork is finished you no longer need to pull up the stitch below to avoid a jog. You can stop once you’re not changing yarn color on a round.
Looking forward to the photo update!
1 Like
I know, the game is on to finish it before December so I can wear it for the Christmas season!! On target I’d say.
Ah great. Now my next question is as I’m changing colour to brown on the last colourwork round would I just list the previous one which would be brown and then knit the brown round and lift up the white for the next row and contribute in brown and not have to lift up anymore?
Yes, that would be your last colorwork round. Lift the stitch below but from then on you’re working in brown and there’s no need to work the lifted stitch at the beginning of round.
The change in color becomes almost unnoticeable.
Oh so I won’t need to bring the white stitch up when knitting in brown for the 53rd row?
Sorry so many questions but trying to get my head around it haha. I’m just about to start the 52nd row (the brown row) so am I bringing the previous rows stitch up here?
You’ve knit the 52nd round in brown. As you start the 53rd round, bring up the white stitch. That will even out the brown round. From then on, no need to bring up the lower round.
Okay so here’s my progress pic…a little puckering but so far I’m happy for my first attempt at fair isle.
Now I’m on the part where I divide for the body and sleeves and got to the point where it would like me to cast on stitches for the mid-under sleeve. I’m wondering what cast on to use? I think I’ve used the backwards thumb before (unsure if that’s the name).