DPN cast on?!

Ok, I CAN"T figure this out. How do I cast on for DPNS? I use long tail so if I need to do something else for this please let me know! Thanks so much In advance!

Depends how many sts you need, but you can CO all on one then divide them on 2, then join and knit them with the 3rd needle, then rearrange and add the 4th needle. Or CO to a straight needle and knit the first row flat with each of the dpns and join at the end.

Long tail cast on works fine for dpns. I like to cast on all on one dpn if the stitches will fit and then divide them. If they won’t fit I cast on to one needle and then slide some (not all, be sure to leave a few on the first needle) of the stitches from the first stitches I cast on onto another dpn and keep casting on right behind where I was casting on before, on the first needle. If you try to cast on to different needles you get spaces.

Actually, I do cast on to all 3 or 4 needles-- but I’m in my 50s and have been knitting since I was a very little girl, and after decades of experience, you can pretty much manage anything. I just pull the yarn really tightly between the needles as I’m casting on (and knitting, for that matter) and no spaces/gaps/loops. But until you get to that comfort level, yes, just cast them all on to a straight needle (no danger of the sts falling off the other end) and then transfer them to your 3 or 4 needles. The trick with dpns is just to imagine them as a circular which has been broken into several pieces.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]I use Long-Tail cast on on 1 needle then divide the stitches on the other 3 or 4 needles. You just have to be careful not to twist the stitches when you sart to knit…[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#800080]Be there, done that, frogged…[/COLOR][/FONT]