Double stranded cast on for double knitting?

A lot of videos on double knitting say to use a single stranded cast on and join the second color on the first row after the cast on or use a tubular cast on. But this means that you have 1 row where you see the same color because it isn’t until you knit the second row that you start seeing the positive and negative effect.

Couldn’t you use a double stranded long tail cast on? You would only have to cast on half as many stitches and you would already know which ones to knit and which ones to purl and would have the 2 colors on each side without 1 row where just 1 color is visible because you joined the second color after the cast on.

Is it for security reasons(getting an opening at the cast on) that I have never heard of people using a double stranded cast on? Or is it just not commonly done?

The one I like ties two skeins, holds the knot on the needle and then is like long tail but you have one color over the thumb, the other over the finger. The color over the thumb is just like long tail, then the one over the finger is the mirror of the move of the one over the thumb. Once you get the hang it’s as fast as normal long tail. It can be laid down in the color pattern and because the base of the stitch is wrapped with the other color the edge is bound together.
Here is a video on it.

I haven’t tried any of the other double knitting cast ons. I don’t think using 2 strands together and picking up like normal long tail works. Even if you pick one color off your thumb and finger I think the stitches would get wrapped up in wrong places. I think you’d need 2 thumbs to make it work. I also think if it was that easy that would be how people did it.

I have dropped one color and picked up the other to do normal long tail. That can easily be laid down in the color pattern but unlike the the above the stitch isn’t wrapped with the other color so when you send color A to cast on A’s side the cast on is open. So for ribbing you can stick your fingers up a rib.
I’ve also cast on to two needles and alternated slipping colors over. One of these 2 ways is how I do for 2 items at once because the cast on has to be completely open.

2 Likes

The one I’ve always liked is similar to Judy’s Magic Cast On but uses the two yarns. The end result is completely invisible. The only think I didn’t like about it is that if you set your work down before you start knitting the first row you can lose the stitches. GarnStudio has a really good video of it.

There are many ways to get from here to there, and don’t involve following the same footsteps of anyone else.

Yes, you can cast on as you have described, and as others have said. The rule is: if it works, use it. That applies to ANYthing you are doing. Whatever works.

You CAN use an invisible cast on with one colour for 2 rows, let’s say. Then do 2 rows with the other colour from the provisional cast on and go from there. If done carefully, one colour will not show to the other side. Or does that colour really matter? It could be used as a design feature! (Mistakes are often turned into a “design feature”.)

Remember – whatever works FOR YOU is permitted. If anyone asks, you always reply “That’s how I planned it.” Works every time!