Double decrease question

Hello

I’m starting a ripple afghan that uses a double decrease to shape the zigzag shape.
Here is the one from the pattern:
Slip the next 2 sts tog as if to knit, k1, pass the 2 slipped sts over the k1

Here’s a similar type of stitch:
Slip 1, K 2 tog, psso

My question is “Can I use the 2nd decrease (from the 2 above) instead of the first one?”

Both start and end with the same # of sts and they look pretty much the same. The 2nd one is easier for me to do with 2 strands of worsted. This is the pattern I’m using:

Thanks for your advice!
Knitcindy

This sounds like an s2kp stitch. I’ve been doing a lot of this stitch for my current project. I would normally say stick to the pattern as it might make the finished piece look slightly different than what was intended. I’m not sure if it would affect the pattern but I doubt it would

1 Like

You can use any decrease you wish, as you know already, right? You’re not entering a competition to see who follows the pattern most exactly. I’d try a swatch of a repeat of the pattern worked several times to see how the decrease looks as you go along. If you’re using a multicolored yarn then it will show less too.

1 Like

That’s what I figured, especially since both start with 3 sts and end up with 1 st. And I’m working with 2 strands together, so it’s easier to k2tog instead of slipping 2 and then psso them both at the same time.

Knitcindy

The difference is that with the first decrease the center stitch will be on top of the other two (a “centered double decrease”), and in the second one, the righthand stitch will be on top, so it won’t be symmetrical-looking. See how in the pattern picture you linked, there is a single stitch column that runs straight up the center of the decrease line? You won’t get that neat line of stitches with option 2; it won’t affect the shaping at all, but it will look very different. So I would advise against subbing it for the original decrease without enough swatching first to be sure you prefer the different the visual effect… But yeah, of course, if you do like it better, it’s your project and you can do as you please! :slight_smile:

I can see how doing the sl2k1psso could be fiddly with multiple strands of thick yarn, but I’m sure you could figure out a way to make it work. Or maybe if you search out different ways to do centered double decreases there might be other clever ways I’m not aware off that would be easier to do…?