Does "instep" = Heel?

Hi everyone…sorry here’s another duh question::biting: I am working a pair of booties (from an older book) I worked the cuff (real nice lacy st), did st , now I divided 13 sts on ea (2 holders) I am working st for 13 rows for “instep”…Now here comes the best part:knitting: to work sides use sts from one holder, pick- some sts from side of “instep” then pick sts from other holder…I am guessing “instep” is what I did for 13rows of st. cause looking at it Upside down,all I can do with that part is bring it up the back of the foot…Started with 36sts should end up with 50sts:roflhard: then there’s another section to work “sole”. Should I:frog:and forget it before I go blind??? Thanks Cheley

The instep is the top of the foot.

Very often with booties, you work the cuff, then work the top of the foot (instep). When that’s done, you pick up stitches up along the right side of the instep, across the top of the instep (where you still have live stitches), and then down the left side.

It sounds like with this pattern, you’re also including some of the stitches on the holders; but if you have to pick up the stitches along the instep as I mentioned above, maybe the process will be a bit clearer, now.

yep Ingrid, it makes sense now:woohoo: I thought “instep” duh…was the heel…Thanks soooo much

MADE SENSE YESTERDAY, BUT TODAY I TRIED IT AND REALLY GOOFED…CAN SL STS FROM HOLDER, CAN PICK UP ON ONE SIDE…BUT CANNOT PICK UP AND GET STS FROM OTHER SIDE:waah: I HAVE THE PATTERN IN MY EMAIL…HOW DO I GET IT POSTED HERE ON THE FORUM PLEASE HELP THANKS CHELEY

I’m not too great with computers, but maybe you can copy and paste the pattern?

Did you knit across the live stitches across the top of the instep? That will get you to the left side and hopefully pick up those. :think:

Yep, sl 13 from first st holder onto needle, p up 7st along first side of instep, slip 10st from instep holder onto empty needle and k across.Pup 7 sts along second side of instep…this is where I have the problem cause it curves,sl 12 sts from last st holder onto emty needle and knit across 50sts…Cant p up sts going the opposite way,…:hair:

It [I]is [/I]awkward to pick up down that side. What about picking them up with a dpn instead of the needle that you’re working with. This way, you can pick up the stitches going down the left side and then finish up the stitches from the holder onto that.

On the next row, it might be easier to knit them all onto one needle.

Yep, that was my thought too once I got started, however, the pattern requires US 4,5 and 6 straight needles…so I didn’t think I needed too switch to dpn’s…What do you think…do they (book) assume that I (newbie) should already know this??? But I managed to “fluff” my way thru, sides remind me of a gussett on a sock, so I kinda had a feeling of dpn’s…getting thru it, but sides are looking kinda wonky…Thank you sooo much Ingrid for you help…:muah:

It is possible to use a straight needle to pick up those stitches, but they turn can be difficult and stretches the whole thing out on the needle, so it never seems right.

Crossed Fingers for me Ingrid…thanks again for all your help:hug:Cheley

Cheley, I worked on a pair of booties just like that the other day. I was frustrated also, because the stitches got all bunched up during that section. It was a pain! I decided that I would never use that pattern again. I made one bootie, and called it quits.

Here’s the pattern I used: http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_chat/knitchat/patterns/babybootie.htm

The bootie turned out okay, but I just didn’t like the pattern. I guess I should stick with patterns that use dpns.

Glad I read this. I thought the instep was the side of the arch on the part of the foot that faces the other foot. :doh:

This has been bothering me for a while now. I was getting ready to ask when this thread came up. :teehee: