Does Debbie Bliss alpaca silk DK felt well?

I’m in the process of making this thing of beauty and I’m using DB alpaca silk DK. I’ve never felted anything before and this will be my first go at it. Will it look lovely or should I just frog and use a different yarn? I don’t want to felt it and it completely break my heart.

Any advice for a felting newbie?

You can only felt 100% wool

Animal hair felts…so the alpaca part will felt but the silk won’t. Knit up a swatch in the yarn and try felting that to see what happens before you knit that whole pretty hat.

Animal hair felts…so the alpaca part will felt but the silk won’t. Knit up a swatch in the yarn and try felting that to see what happens before you knit that whole pretty hat.

Yes you can. I did a few scarves with the same yarn. It felted perfectly. The silk inside is also in natural form, so it didn’t cause any problems. The only difference is (just to be on the safe side) I felted 1inch, instead of half inch shown on Amy’s video.

oops… I thought you were talking about joining yarn by felting :oops:

Check out this thread… A long time ago I test felted Knit Picks’ Andean Silk which is also alpaca and silk. I added pics (they’re at the end of page 1) of before and after and you can see what happens when the alpaca felts and the silk doesn’t. I think it’s a great texture feature!

I accidentally felted some of the Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (although it was the worsted rather than DK weight) and it looked just like what Silver posted. It is a very interesting texture and SOOO soft. I’d post a picture of the hat I made, but I’ve already mailed it off to the recipient. I say “go for it”. Mine turned out to be an interesting design feature that occurred by accident. I knitted the hat too big and tried drawing it up. I thought it looked and felt (no pun intended) great after the accident.
Good luck and post your pictures when you are finished.