Does anybody know how to do the Tuck Stitch?

I am going crazy!!! I have been trying to do a swatch for a pattern from the Vogue Knitting Magazine for one of the tops that have knitting for the top part and crocheting at the bottom. This is in the winter 2006/2007 mag.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Here is the rows for the pattern. I am working on a swatch of 44 stitches.

Row 1: Purl
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Purl
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: Purl
Row 6: Knit 2, *Knit in stitch 4 rows below, Knit 5, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, Knit 2
Row 7: Purl
Row 8: Knit
Row 9: Purl
Row 10: Knit
Row 11: Purl
Row 12: Knit 5, *Knit in stitch 4 rows below, Knit 5, repeat from * to last 5 Stitches, Knit 5

The problem is that I have too many stitches. What am I doing wrong? :wall:

CraftyGal

Sounds like an interesting pattern. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s Stocking Stitch except every sixth row you “knit into stitch 4 rows below” (which must be the “Tuck”)

I am guessing, but perhaps you are not “dropping” the stitch when you “knit into stitch 4 rows below”.

Knitting into a row below means the stitch “from below” becomes the “next” stitch, and the original “next stitch” on the needle must be dropped!

I believe that if I drop the stitch, it wil ladder. thepictur doesn’t show that. Thanks though.

Crafty

Vogue Knitting hasn’t gotten back to me about this pattern and I want to use the top for my wedding dress.

Crafty

Hi CraftyGal,
I’m trying out the pattern right now! I’ve just done the first row of knitting stitches below. I’ll stick a pic up in a few mins… so stick around. (or perhaps I’ll fail miserably…)

Thank you.

Crafty

Okay! puff puff here’s my Tuck Stitch Swatch (don’t count the stitches too closely)

I pulled out the 4 dropped rows on the significant stitch which made a ladder, as you said. From the front it looks like a bee, I think!

Thank you I will retry it.

Crafty

Good luck, keep counting stitches & post a pic!!

and…

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I hope you have a fabulous wedding, and may there be much love in your relationship!

Thank you. He was the one who suggested that I try my hand at knittin and crocheting my dress. He loved this stitch. So I hope that it works for me. I ahve printed the photos as well s saved them in word document. Incase I have problem.

crafty