Do I Need A Barbie Doll For Knitting Barbie Clothes?

I am thinking of knitting Barbie clothes, and I have a question: do I need to buy a Barbie doll to try them on after I knit them? Or can I just knit them without one to try them on? Any help is appreciated.

I am new to knitting, however, when I crocheted doll clothes I always had a doll the size I crocheted the outfit for. Why? Because not all dolls are the same size. They may be in height but I have found that some kmart barbie type dolls had fatter legs while dollar tree dolls were a smidge taller or shorter. They also differ slighty in size from older dolls now. Plus I like to see how they look so I can make any final adjustments.

3 Likes

Thank you. What you have said is very, very helpful. Are you planning to knit doll clothes too? Or not? Just curious.

I have given it a little thought. Perhaps when I more fluent I would like to try to knit a sweater or something for a teddy bear ; with 3 granddaughters 2 1/2yrs,1 1/2 yrs, and 1 yr. I shall have plenty of practice. For now, I am happy with bags( almost completed my first 1 which is also my 1st knitted project) and scarves are in the near future. I would like to try a baby sweater. So perhaps some day down the road :blush:

1 Like

I knit dishcloths and coaster sets; I have a scarf that is unfinished, and have knitted one pair of slipper socks for myself. I sell the dishcloths and coaster sets I knit in craft shows. I want to knit more socks, and learn to knit hats and maybe toys. Do you ever knit reusable shopping bags or not?

I think that is a fun way to make some extra money. I give everything I make to either family, friends, someone in need, or just because.

No I have not done any recycled items. My mom use to take plastic or paper bags cut them into strips and make floor mats with them. Most of them were crocheted. She would make items and see a stranger on the street and give out her items. Or she would knit, crochet, or sew gifts for everyone in the nursing home she worked at. She would give to co workers too. I am blessed to have that memory and although I will never come close to her talent I can do what I can to keep the craft alive in our family.

I agree. My dishcloths sell pretty well at the craft shows I sell them at. Also, where I live, since knitting is not done a lot by people who do craft shows (there are not a lot of knitters since, where craft shows are concerned, knitting is a lot of work to do throughout the whole year), I have no competition for what I sell. Also, my dishcloths are durable, compared to store-bought dishcloths, so people like that too.

My mom sews, so I know what you mean about keeping family tradition alive. She also crochets, but prefers to sew.

1 Like

That is awesome. I live in a community where it’s moderate as for crafters. The closest city is minutes away and the main craft store focuses more towards knitters. They even give a few skeins away for knitters to make items and you take item back and they give finished items to charity. They have more knitting classes than crochet. But if I go 30 minutes away its more crochet and quilting. It’s quite interesting.

I have a niece and sister who sell their items at fairs and such. They do alright but with so many selling the same craft it is hard to make that odd seller. You think you have it made this year and wouldn’t you know it 6 other crafters decided to make the same things this year. The struggle is real. LoL.
I applaud anyone who can make a profit.

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile: There is a yarn shop in my home state named Yarn and Company. They cater a lot to knitters.

Their website is http://www.yarnandcompany.net/.

I am also glad if someone can make a profit from what they make. At one of the festivals in my state, I sell a lot of dishcloths because I am the only one there who makes and sells them, compared to other craft shows. I always feel good when someone buys one of the things I make. I also feel the same way when I give something I make to someone, and they enjoy it.

2 Likes

That’s terrific.

1 Like

Thank you.