Do I like the brand or the fiber?

When I started knitting I bought a 70% Alpaca, 30% Merino blend by Cascade called Eco Duo. There is not much colour selection, but it was the softest yarn I have ever found and I loved working with it. I have been looking online and was surprised to find the 100G balls more expensive than what I paid in a store but I have moved and there is no knitting store near me so I am shopping online.

I don’t know if it was the Alpaca that made me enjoy the yarn so much, or if that softness was just because it was a good brand.

I have seen a lot of other brands that had more colours and the same 70/30 blend, or even 100% Alpaca (or baby alpaca) but I cannot touch any of them so I don’t know for sure.

I will order the Eco Duo if that is the only sure guarantee of softness, but if I could find that same luxurious feel in a blend by a different brand or pure Alpaca yarn I would rather find something with nice colour and/or is more affordable. For example, I have come across Rowan and Blue Sky with better prices, but I don’t know what it feels like.

What do you think? If all Alpaca and Alpaca blends will feel the same I would also love suggestions on where I could buy either a more colourful or affordable yarn online.

I really like Cascade. I also like alpaca/baby alpaca blends. If there is one thing I have learned in my years knitting not all yarn is created equal. I would order from someplace with an open return policy.

I ordered yarn on-line once and it was a nightmare and I will never do it again. I drive an hour to get to a “local” yarn store and buy from local farms during festivals - one of the joys of living in the country.