Do I have to use circular needles?

hi! I am new to the forum and knitting. I have been a crocheter for years but decided to take up knitting so I could knit cables and I love it. There is a pattern I want to make for a cable prayer shawl but it calls for a circular needle and I really don’t have the $ to go buy one but I have the same size in straight needles. It is a rectangular shawl. Can I use the straight needles or do I have to go buy the circular? All I have in circular is small needles and this calls for a 13.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I would imagine it would depend on the number of stitches and weight of yarn. If you can fit the stitches on the needles without losing any then I don’t see a problem with that. I’d imagine it’s telling you to use a circular though, because there are a lot of stitches and it would be too many for a straight. But if you can fit them, then I say go for it.

Ok thank you! I guess I will try it and see what happens.

It might work if you have some of those really long needles, I think they’re like 14 inches. I always end up poking myself with those things and they’re awkward for me. I use circulars for everything and I’m just used to them. Use what you have available. If nothing else, it’s possible to do the shawl in two sections and sew them together, depending on the pattern.

If it’s top down, you can get quite a bit done on straights before it gets uncontrollably big. You might be able to borrow a 13 circular from someone, too, or pick one up at a thrift store. I just got a couple of pretty acrylic ones for $2.59 each at Hobby Lobby, so they don’t have to be expensive.