Determining the correct size for circular knitting needles

I started knitting scarves with straight knitting needles. Now I want to try making hats. The pattern I want to use calls for size 16" #7 or #8 round knitting needle. I purchased circular knitting needles but it says 4.5mm - 81 cm and & 7 US - 32 in. Can I still use this or do I need to purchase a needle that specifically says 16"?

thanks,
VN

Unless you want to use the Magic Loop method you need to use a 16 in cord. If you use circs with a 16 in cord you will also need the same size DPNs when you reach the point where the stitches are stretched to far on the cord. Don’t worry, using DPNs on a hat like that with established stitches is very easy.

IF you choose to do Magic Loop you won’t need DPNs. You need to have at least a 32 in cord, but some prefer a 40 for ML. Some people prefer Magic Loop and that is how I learned, but I prefer a 16 in and DPNs now.

If you are knitting on circulars in the standard way (no magic loop or anything like that), then you should select a size that is smaller than the circumference of the item you are making. 16 in circs work best for hats, because they are usually 18-20 in around.

If you are knitting on circulars in the standard way (no magic loop or anything like that), then you should select a size that is smaller than the circumference of the item you are making. 16 in circs work best for hats, because they are usually 18-20 in around.

What they all said is true, but 16" are harder to find, and if you can’t locate them in your area, you can use the longer ones. I’ve used 30" circs for sleeves, though it was a little more difficult at the wrist end. Do try out the Magic Loop, though I found it too fiddly and use a single loop instead where I just pull the cord out on one side instead of two.

sue

use a single loop instead where I just pull the cord out on one side instead of two

Could you please explain what you mean by this?

Thanks

Diane

Look at Amy’s video on ML knitting. Where she has a loop on the left and one on the right, I slide my stitches over to the left and just loop the needle on the right. If the diameter is too small, it won’t work that well. I just finished making a bag in chenille for my not SIL (cause I couldn’t find a black velvet one and this was as close as I could get). I used the turkish CO, and had to ML for the first half, because it’s only 6-7 inches on a side and I used a 29" circ. After it was about 4-5" long, I didn’t need the second loop. I use 29-32" inch circs on sleeves too.

sue