Determining knitting style

Hello! I’m a self taught knitter, who has been knitting off and on for about 2 years. Lately I’ve been wanting to take on more projects, and have been trying to pay more attention to my technique, etc. So this evening I decided to look up how to hold my yarn while doing my purl stitches, which has always been less comfortable to me than how I hold my yarn while doing knit stitches. Anyway, in doing so I noticed most tutorials showed the yarn being wrapped counterclockwise around the needle while purl stitching, while I wrap it clockwise. Which led me to all the different knitting styles… eastern, western, combination… And now I’m scared that perhaps the way I’m knitting will cause me problems with certain patterns etc…

So here’s how I knit: I knit my purl stitches in the front (inserting needle from right to left, in front), then wrapping my yarn clockwise. And I knit my knit stitches behind (inserting my needle left to right, from front to back) then wrapping my yarn counterclockwise.

So what style am I knitting in? And how will it effect patterns, etc.?

Thank you!! Uploading… Uploading…

it seems to me that you’re twisting the stitches when you purl. It tightens the stitch and makes it slightly more difficult to knit into on the next row. There are patterns that call for twisted stitches and it can be very effective in ribbing or aran knits.
This tutorial shows the twisted stitch and also the way stitches are usually seated on the needle with the right leg of the stitch toward the front.

Here’s also a video for twisted sts (it shows twisting them by knitting through the back loop but the effect is the same).

That said, there are people who knit this way all the time because they prefer it.

I always have a hard time picturing clockwise and counterclockwise in relation to knitting. I picture purling as the yarn going from right to left over the top as the “standard” way to do it and under the needle to twist it. I see counter clockwise as over the top of the needle so that’s the standard way, no?

But, as @salmonmac showed the stitches look a little different when they are twisted. If you prefer the method that twists them you can untwist them on the back by knitting into the back of the stitch that is twisted. It’s called combination knitting. I don’t knit that way, but I’ve heard it requires a few changes when you are doing increases and decreases. No experience using this method though. Here’s info-
http://www.anniemodesitt.com/knit.html

Note- I often twist some of my stitches intentionally when I’m ribbing something that doesn’t need to be reversible because to my eye it makes the ribbing neater and tighter. Personal choice. :wink:

Uploading… Thank you! I watched the video, and it looks like I do not twist my knit stitches. I do them normally, as shown in the video. It’s my purl stitches I think I may be twisting? The pic shows how I do my pearl stitches…

Yes, twisting the purl gives the same effect. Try winding the yarn counterclockwise when you purl and see if you can see a difference in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row). Then you can see which you prefer.

Thank you! I’m sure my terminology could use some work, too. I’m pretty new all of this :slight_smile:

When I watched the video above, it appears I do my knit stitches normally. Sticking my needle in from front to back, and wrapping my yarn around the needle from under:

When I purl, I stick my needle through the front, left to right, then wrap my yarn around from the bottom:

The video didn’t address purl stitches, and I think that may be what I’m doing wanky

This shows the front of my work:

And this the back, so you can see what my knitting looks like when all is said and done:

I will, thank you! I’m quite far into my current project, so I’ll finish is as is. Will this effect how I need to do things when it comes to increases, decrease, etc., when following my pattern?

This shows the front of my work:

And this the back:

My stitches are indeed twisted then?

Thanks again!

Yes, the result is twisted knit stitches on that side (the V or knit side). You can see that, like the stitches in the video, the sts formed on the purl row cross at the lower end of the stitch instead of looking open.
This tutorial shows the open and crossed sts.

Again, it only addresses making these on a knit row but the finished look is the same.
Your knitting looks lovely and even. The stitch pattern is really quite nice.

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your help! I truly appreciate it! I’ll just enjoy the uniqueness of this garmet, and correct my stitching on my next project!