Decreasing Seed Stitch hat

Hey knittingfans!

I have started knitting a few months ago through watching videos and trying out easy patterns which I found online. I had never learned knitting at school and am completly amazed by how great me self-knit creations look! :slight_smile: Recently I’ve started a scarf for my mom in seed stitch which looks great.

So all exited I proposed to make a hat as well, which I want to give now at new years eve. I have knitted it in a round as well, using seed stitch and just made it go round and round. I used 41 stitches and now I need to start decreasing it, but I have no idea how to do this at best without ruining the seed stitch patern.

Could anyone please help and give me some advice on how to keep on knitting?

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!
Laura

Usually you decrease a hat by 6 or 8 stitches every oher round at first. In seed stitch, that’s going to throw the pattern off. What you can do instead is decrease two stitches right together so that one decrease is a purl and one is a knit. You’d only do that maybe three times in the round (41 stitches isn’t that many, so I’d do three.) Work one row in the pattern you have going, then decrease the same way again, but in different places–aim for about halfway between the other decreases. Keep doing that every other row until you get down to around 24 stitches, then decrease every row. See what it looks like to you–some people like a flatter top to a hat, some rounder, neither is wrong and it’s all good if you like it.

Hi Becky!
Thank you so much for your quick reply!
Just a small questions, what do you mean with decrease two stitches right together? I guest you mean that I should knit 2 stitches together and then purl 2 stiches together, is this correct?
then I would for example have:
row 1 (normal even-number row,): p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1
row 2 (1st decrease): k2tog, p2tog,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1

So then the p2tog would be done on the p1,k1 stitches.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Yes. That way the pattern carries on as well as it can. You’ll still see the decrease, but it won’t stick out as much as if the pattern broke.