Hi Did this jacket look proportional when it was finished? Up to shaping on back, got my head around pattern mistakes but wondering about size. Seems awfully wide and or short even for a jacket. Knitting bigger size
I’ve been working on this Teddy Bear jacket forever. I was making the small and then restarted to make the larger size. I am finally on the last sleeve which I adjusted after reading several posts on Ravelry. Thankfully I think the body of my project looks in proportion. I love the look of this little sweater so much but cannot wait to be finished with this project. I’ve been knitting for years but this pattern was a challenge. Did you find the pattern difficult? Best of luck.
Just seeing this project for the first time. It’s magnificent!
What an absolutely adorable sweater to make for child, it is so so lovely.
I have no understanding of the pattern, sizings or problems you might have encountered but just want to say what you have done looks perfect. I love it.
I decided to carry on and do it as my daughter who’s son it is for like the photo I sent her of it. I think I have come to terms with it, well the back anyway. I did start knitting a sleeve awhile ago as it was “TV” knitting but I will undo it and redo with the 6 row increase that others are suggesting, it wont be so baggy then and the wool supply is limited so any saving.
I really love the look of the pattern and wish some talented person could rewrite it so it was easier to follow. It would be nice as a cardy pattern for a 4yr old too, I don’t have the talent to alter it though.
Oh well back to knitting it before I forget what I am doing.
It is a lovely design, which is why I am persevering but the instructions are not easy and they could be. Badly written.
Good for you. I did type out the pattern row by row so it made more sense to me. I am making it for my one year old grandson and hoping I finish before he outgrows it!!! And as you said, before I forget what I’m doing. Yikes!!! Enjoy.
There’s no doubt that this pattern needs editing and attention. Good for you and cspierer for persisting with it. The results are adorable but each knitter shouldn’t have to re-invent the pattern.
Good luck with the rest of it. I’m sure you’ll also get it to work.
Hi all of you that have made the Cable teddy bear jacket.
What a challenge this has been… well I have now done the back and 2 front pieces. Yay….Now onto the sleeves.
Having read others comments. (And the pattern). Many of you say the pattern as written results in “ balloon” sleeves so they have revised their makes to an increase every 6 rows instead of the 4 it says.
Any feedback greatly appreciated before ( once again with this pattern) I knit it up… then undo it… over and over again.
Well… it keeps me busy is all I can say. But am glad I persevered.
Thanks for any responses. I appreciate your comments.
Ps. I also did a row by row guide , especially after the rows started to decrease in stitches for armholes, button holes etc. . It gave me brain ache.
I find increasing every 6 rows is a good rule of thumb for sleeves.
So nice to hear someone else is making this CHALLENGING jacket. I read as much as possible and also relied heavily on help from this forum. I really felt every section and step of the way had it’s challenges, even the faces you embroider on all those cute little bears. (I ended up using embroidery floss for the faces instead of the yarn which worked better I think). Anyway…the sleeves!! At first I was going to decrease the number of increases for the sleeves based on everyone saying how the sleeves ballooned out but then realized the sleeve might not ease into the armhole properly so I took it out. I did end up only increasing to 71 stitches (I made the large size) and the sleeves fit into the armholes. I have to admit, I increased sort of intuitively based on how I thought the sleeve should look (narrower to elbow and then wider from the elbow to the sleeve cap). Not scientific at all and I am embarrassed to even share my approach to these sleeves, but it all worked. I increased as follows: after switching to the larger needles and beginning the moss stitch my first increase was on the 5th row (53 stitches), 13th row (55 stitches), 23rd row (57th stitches), 33rd row (59 stitches), 43rd row (61 stitches), 55th row (63 stitches), 59th row (67 stitches), 63rd row (69stitches) and 67th row (71stitches). Whew. Cudos to you for sticking with this pattern. It is adorable and I knitted it for my precious grandson but I think that is the one and only time for me. Just to share, I started it as the small size, and ended up completely starting over to make the larger size. Like you, I did a row by row guide which really helped. All the best and if you have any other questions, this forum is the best place to go!!! I am also only too happy to share what I learned along this journey.
And, yes, Teacup - so much brain ache! You are almost to the finish line.
Thank you for you feedback. I appreciate your comments.
I also did a row by row list of what was what so I could keep track of where I was. Especially if I left it for a day or so…
I lost the plot a few times… and had to re-knit sections.
I have nearly finished first sleeve… and took advice re decreasing every 6th row. So far it seems ok but won’t know til it’s all finished, sewn up, and my granddaughter tries it on.
My next biggest angst is…… have I enough wool. Fingers crossed xxxx
Yay… I finished it… never again. Don’t get me wrong. I loved knitting it. I loved bringing it to life when embroidering the bears smiley faces… but it was a labour of love. ( and unpicking and reknitting!) but worth it.
You won the battle with this pattern, yay! The sweater is so beautiful and you have the expressions on the bears just perfectly. The sweater is a treasured heirloom.