Cross stitches pattern instructions have stumped me!

Need assistance on Row 10 on the following pattern: Plymouth pattern no. 2693 Homestead: Vertical Strip Throw and Afghan. I have attempted this last row in my series just prior to my Repeat of rows 1 through 10 25 more times. Another note I am taking the easier way out knitting each color in separate rows then sewing them together; SO I HAVE 47 stitches in row color red then 43 tan and 47 grey.
Basically row 10 states to…K4, (K2, cross stitches, k5).
Cross stitch instr are: s1 the next st on the left hand needle off the needle and let it hang to the front, s1 the next 2 sts from the left hand needle onto the right hand needle, s1?the next st on the left hand needle off the needle and let it hang to the front, pick up the 1st drooped st with the left hand needle, s1 2 sts from the right hand needle back to the left hand needle, and pick up the 2nd dropped st with the right hand needle and place it n the left hand needle , k4 (the complete the last step in the above bracket {K5}. Help is needed donna

Not sure of the answer yet. I see it’s in a pamphlet.

Here’s a link for helpers.

It’s a purchased pattern

Maybe I should back up a second. I’m sure it’s the cross stitch Task that I am unfamiliar with as I am a self taught knitter. Can. Row 10 in my pattern involves the cross stitches and this is the row. Keep ripping out as I run out of stitches before I complete the repeat of 5-more times. Ie:
K4. *(K2, Cross Stiches, k4)-repeat from *-5, (7) times more??? Thanks for trying to help me. Donna

Based on what you are saying here you shouldn’t run out of stitches. :??

I’m running out so I must be incorrectly performing the cross Stitches. Do you know of a video link to show me the How to on cross stitches. (Assuming cross stitches always includes the same steps as in my pattern) Donna

How many sts do you have before you start this row, 47? Are you following the directions for the smaller or the larger size (5 or 7 times repeat).
The directions for the row:
K4. *(K2, Cross Stiches, k4)-repeat from *-5, (7) times more. Is that correct?
The repeat should take 10sts as written, k2, 4sts for the crossed stitch and then k4.

Hello AND thanks for your reply.

I am at 47 sts! ( I just finished the last stitch on ROW 9). Additionally, I am knitting the smaller afghan which has total cast on stitches of 137 with color section breakout of red-tan-grey 47+43+47+47. Therefore I am doing the 5(repeat).

Do you mind explaining cross stitches? I think this is where my problem lies lol

Tks Donna

Re: your example includes 4sts for cross stitch??? I’m am looking at the left hand side if the pattern for the instructions of steps involved in cross stitch. Following me lol? Donna

Sorry typo. 47+43+47

I couldn’t find any videos for this stitch but the idea is similar to crossing cables without a cable needle.

http://www.creativeknittingmagazine.com/blog/?p=3497
You’re directions want you to leave a stitch hanging out while you work with other sts. You’re really altering the order in which you knit the sts to give you the crossed sts. If using a cable needle or two helps, then go ahead.
I don’t have the pattern so I don’t know what the sidebar directions are but from the instructions you quote, the crossed sts involve 4sts.
If you number the sts on the left needle 4, 3, 2, 1 with stitch 1 closest to the tip, you are basically rearranging the sts so that you have 1, 3,2,4. Then the directions say knit those 4sts.

I still need my cross stitch problem answered. Thanks for your reply salmonmac almost answered. Donna

Didn’t find your response until now. I’ll review and reply. Donna potter

i got really confused with this… so ‘cross-stitch’ in this context is not the same as ‘needlepoint/embroidery’?.. it’s knitter’s jargon for cabling smaller amounts of stitches? at first i thought it was another term for ‘duplicate knitting’, which i’ve now seen used when somebody was talking about ‘double knitting’…

i want everything to have one name. and that’s it. one word/phrase for one technique at a time, please - my brain, my poor brain… :slight_smile:

that video was helpful for the technique (thanks amy!) but there’s no way… i’d lose those 2 stitches in nanoseconds.

Standard terminology would be nice. I think the loose stitches could be held on a needle but whether it would make it more complicated I dunno.

Crossstitch really means whatever the designer specifies in this pattern. Think of it as a kind of cable cross where the sts that are left to hang out could be held on separate cable needles if you like. Like cables, it’s just a way of changing the order in which you knit the sts.

Wow is that all it is? Thanks so much Amy. I’ll try again and let you know if I have mastered it, I really wanted to under this “cross stitch” step as I will be repeating it on steps 1-10 over 100 or so times before I complete my project (afghan). Cross your fingers lol Donna Potter texas

Originally Posted by salmonmac
Crossstitch really means whatever the designer specifies in this pattern. Think of it as a kind of cable cross where the sts that are left to hang out could be held on separate cable needles if you like. Like cables, it’s just a way of changing the order in which you knit the sts.
Wow is that all it is? Thanks so much Amy. I’ll try again and let you know if I have mastered it, I really wanted to under this “cross stitch” step as I will be repeating it on steps 1-10 over 100 or so times before I complete my project (afghan). Cross your fingers lol Donna Potter texas