Hello all! Today I took down some short window curtains to wash them, but that absolutely anhilited them. They were already worn thin and pale and I’m guessing it was from the sun? I’ve been liking the idea of crocheting curtains, like full sized ones, but for now I’m working on my blanket as my current large project. However, short window ones would be fairly quick to do I think, and it’s a good opportunity to learn what works and what doesn’t in the process, so I’m here asking for advice about it
I’m interested in knowing what would be a sturdy material for that, since it would be exposed to the sun a lot (cotton?). I’m also thinking white for the same reason, although maybe something untreated because bleached white would also react with the sun and turn yellow in the more exposed areas? I’m also thinking about weight. The ones I’m gonna try for now will be short, but on long ones I know the weight could bear down on the pattern. Is that something I should worry much about? ![]()
You’ve thought of many of the desirable characteristics for curtains: light, sun-resistant, color fast. It’s difficult to overcome the effects of direct sunlight. Maybe a treatment of some sort that would prevent rot?
Mercerized cotton (pearl cotton) would work. I don’t know if it’s any lighter than regular cotton but it seems to be recommended for curtains as far as color and resistance to rot. Certainly an open work pattern would lighten the weight and help prevent sag.
This isn’t a project that I’ve tried but maybe some crocheters or knitters have experience here.
I don’t crochet and have no experience of this but as ever i will chip in with random thoughts.
This yarn comes in a range of colours includng white, natural, nude and beige. It’s budget friendly for a larger project, priced low enough to buy a couple of colours and try them out.
I looked at the free patterns and saw this skirt which looks like filet crochet, it gives an idea of how much yarn you need as it’s full length and a not dissimilar to a curtain.
Then i looked at the projects with this yarn on ravelry and saw these, very nice
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Trestrikk/diamond-lace-valance
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Heawa/nordic-star-window-valance
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Mkshippy/crystal-flowers
Could be worth a swatch or three.
Do you have a pattern in mind?
I don’t know so wondering ‘out loud’ if starching the curtains when done would help prevent unwanted stretch. Somehow it seems like it should but I have no real clue.
The links @Creations posted are beautiful.
Random thought. When I was kid my mother made me a nightgown with what I believe was a crochet front yoke. It would have been cotton. It held up very well and was reused more than once as things got outgrown. I know it got no gentle treatment, it went through the wringer washer with everything else and was dried on the line because there was no dryer at the time.