Crochet Help Needed

Hi,

I’m new to crochet and I’m trying to crochet this cute little dress.

For the skirt part, pattern calls for:
Row 1: Sl st into the first and lasts sts at the same time; overlapping to make a continuous round. ch 3. [2 dc, ch 1, dc] in same st (first and last sts at the same time), *skip 2 st, [3 dc, ch 1, dc]; rep from * around. sl st into 3rd ch from first ch 3. ch 3. Do not turn; work in a continuous round.

Can someone please help with this?

1. “Sl st into the first and lasts sts at the same time” - Does this join the round?
  2. “ch 3. [2 dc, ch 1, dc] in same st (first and last sts at the same time)” - I don’t understand how to read this. Does this mean chain 3, then make two double crochet, chain one, and one double crochet? What does “first and last sis at the same time” mean?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
You are joining to crochet in the round by overlapping the first and last stitch. Let’s get the input of the experienced crochet people here please.
@OffJumpsJack
@GrumpyGramma
@Snowfleas

So this pattern is worked from the top down.
I see the blo = back loop only makes ridged rows like a runch top or garter rows.

Yes, it does. Like working a knit into the first and last knit of your flat knit srction to join in the round.

You are making a fan shaped stitch into the slip stitch that joined the end of your first row.

The chain 3 is counted as a DC. It and two (three actually) more DC are worked in the same slip stitch that joined the torso in the round.
(Image edited)

My symbol key is across the top.
The row of “X” on the bottom (of the image) are the SC row of the (cast on) edge of the torso.
Join with right-sides (public sides) to the outside.
I think the side with the button hole loops should be on top when you join with the slip stitch. I did not scan the rest of the pattern to see where the loops are worked.

I hope you find this helpful.

1 Like

Oops. The repeat is *skip 2 st, [3 dc, ch 1, dc]; rep from * around. sl st into 3rd ch from first ch 3.

So the correct symbol chart is this one.

1 Like

The drawing helped. Thank you so much!