Counterpane Preemie Blanket KAL

I’ve gotten about halfway through (95 rows!!!) the first of 4 squares of this Counterpane project (http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/) and I thought maybe some adventuresome knitters might like to join me in this madness.

Here’s the project:

http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/

And here are some of my previous posts while working on it…

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14404&highlight=

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14411

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194068&highlight=#194068

Happy Knitting everyone!

Diane

That is gorgeous!!!

That’s a beautiful blanket! If I tried that it might take from now until oh…forever! :shock: I guess maybe once you get the hang of it it would go fast? :??

If anyone does decide to join my insanity…here are the corrections I’ve found so far. I’ve sent them to Megan (the author of the website), but don’t know when they’ll be corrected.

Also, I’m not using 000 needles & size 10 cotton thread…I’m using size 3 needles & what’s probably a sport or baby weight yarn. Can’t know for sure 'cause it’s yarn I frogged from a sweater I no longer like the style of…it will wind up being 20" square; one side of one square = 10" in the needles and yarn weight I’m using.

The Corrections:

Here’s a few more…grrrrr…

Had to go back 5 rows, then 3 rows, but managed to figure it out using the chart…

Row 65 now reads: S1P, P63, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 63, P1

Row 67 now reads: S1P, P65, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 65, P1

Row 69 now reads: S1P, P67, P1

It should read: S1P, KNIT 67, P1

Diane

…and her (very quick) response…

Hi Diane,

The Chart is definitely what you should work from if you possibly can.
When I first designed the pattern I did it using a chart and for ages
all I had on my site was the chart. Then someone told me they couldn’t
read charts no matter how hard they tried so would I please, please,
please write it out for them in words (for free, of course!).

I did write it out but have to admit I did not test-knit my handwritten
instructions. Consequently some bloopers have slipped in due to my
human error. That is, when I’ve proof-read it I’ve seen what I wanted
to see instead of what was really there!

I’m sorry it made you go grrrrr and thank you for bringing them to my
attention. If you spot any more please let me know and I’ll update the
webpage.

Kind regards,
Megan

It’s a challenge, but it’s SO much fun watching the pattern emerge! Just takes a fair amount of counting, and we can all do that, right?

JOIN ME! :pray:

Diane

That’s a gorgeous pattern!

I think I may join. :slight_smile:

Hi Jenelle,

[size=6][/size]TERRIFIC!!![size=3][/size]

Let me know how you’re doing with it! It goes really fast for about the first 50 rows 'cause you haven’t got many stitches on the needles. The worst is the first bobble row…takes forever!!!

:cheering: :smiley:

Anyone else up for a challenge?

Diane

:thinking: I am considering it as I have a niece/nephew that is currently “cooking” and I have been looking for a blanket to make for the little one. Will it make a good size for a non-preemie baby when made in larger needles and yarn? That was really the only thing that was stopping me before. :thinking:

Hi Mintdee,

I’d say it would…the needles I’m using are 6 sizes larger than specified, and I think the yarn is about the weight of baby yarn or perhaps a bit lighter. My guess is if you used baby or sport yarn & something like size 3 to say 6 needles, you could get a nice size. With what I’m using, I’ll have a 20 inch square when I’m finished with 4 squares. I guess alot depends on what sort of finished size you’re looking to get. You can sorta estimate your final size by row 47 (halfway through one side, double that dimension for the length of one side of one square, then double it again for the size of 4 squares put together) or row 95 (one side of one square completed, so just double that dimension).

HTH

:smiley:

Diane

I have to wait to get to the store and find a nice baby yarn for it. What yarn are you using for yours?

Hey Jenelle,

probably a sport or baby weight yarn. Can’t know for sure 'cause it’s yarn I frogged from a sweater I no longer like the style of

It’s a very light yellow, soft, but very prone to splitting. When I was frogging it & wrapping it into balls, I found it was 3 strands, untwisted, but it’s working up nicely…

Hope you find something you like! There are just SO many lovely, scrumptious yarns out there these days…which is what got me knitting again after :thinking: hmmm…let’s see, probably at least 30 years…

Someone was working on finishing a baby sweater at “class” last night that was made of “Velvet Touch”, unbelievably soft & squishy…Don’t think I’d recommend it for this project though. I’d say, keep it simple. Let the pattern shine!

Diane

If anyone’s started this, here’s another correction:

(forging ahead!!!)
I’ve sent this correction to Megan as well, and since she’s already made the last correction to the website, perhaps this one’ll have been changed by the time you print it out.

Row 96: currently within the parentheses is (O, SSK, K5, O, T, K1)
It should read: (O, SSK, K5, T, O, K1) reversing the K2 tog and the Yarn Over.

:stuck_out_tongue: :waving:

Diane

I’ll have to make those corrections! Thanks!

I’m still awaiting to get my yarn, I’m thinking of knitting it in yellow rather than white.

Any yarn recommendations?

Mine’s yellow, too!

I don’t have any specific yarn recommendations…but I don’t think I’d use anything other than “ordinary” yarn. In other words, nothing with large amounts of variegation or textures like slubs or thick & thin. Maaaaaaybe one of those baby yarns with tiny spots of color, but given that you’re going to put some effort into getting this pattern correct, I’d use something that allows the recipient to focus on the beautiful design, not the yarn.

Since I’ve only begun knitting again after like a 30-year hiatus…I’m truly unfamiliar with everything that’s out there!

Anyone else have suggestions?

I’ll ask the folks at my LYS when I get up there again on the 11th.

Diane

:wink:

Hi,

Just finished the first of the four squares! WaaaaaaHooooooooo!!! :happydance:

It’s looking like what I’m using may turn out to be a bit bigger than I’d originally estimated. Probably more like 22-24" square when all four are put together.

I’ll try to get someone to take a pic for me so I can post it.

:wink:

Diane

P.S. Hope someone gets their yarn soon…this has been too much fun not to share!!! Can you tell I’m pleased with myself???

Hi all,

Here’s the finished [but not blocked] square…one down 3 to go…

Beautiful! :inlove:

I can’t wait to start mine! :happydance:

I’m in Diane! I’m in!

I’m going to knit it in plum Encore on size 8’s. I need something a little bigger. I’m also not a “bobble person”. heh. So I’m going to ask a friend what else I can do instead of that. Anyone have any ideas?

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

That’s great, pixywhispers!

Wow! Can’t wait to see it in PLUM.

I’m almost halfway through the second square…got sidetracked a bit with a steering wheel cover (that was really fun to knit!) for my mom & finishing a felted moebius cat basket for the monthly challenge…

Now it’s full speed ahead before I lose any more momentum. It’ll be hard, but I swear I won’t open the bag of Christmas scarf supplies I purchased on Saturday till I finish this!

I believe Megan (the source of the pattern) has made all the corrections on the website, so if you’re just printing it out, it should be all correct.
I have not confirmed this at the site, but she was very grateful for the help as she knitted it from the chart [gasp], not the written directions.

I have found it very helpful to make sure I have the correct number of stitches in each row. I was able to catch a mistake on the bobble row…somehow I increased a stitch right after one of the bobbles, but no way was I takin that row out :shifty:, so I purled 2 together on the following row to get back to the right number of stitches.

Good Luck!!! Hope to hear how you’re doin with it soon.

Diane

What a fun knit! I’m almost through with the first leaf. I’m just able to do a row here and there. It looks beautiful in this color.

When my camera is working again I’ll post some pics.

And yes, I compared the corrections you have written up so far and they all seem to be there on her site corrected. :slight_smile: What a jewel this pattern is.

I just love this plum color!