Cotton yarn combinations

My daughter is allergic to all wools so I have been looking for cotton combined with other products, like bamboo or soy, but they all have some form of alcohol or formaldehyde for processing, when most people say they are allergic to wool, I have read it’s the alcohol they are responding to.
Has anyone used a cotton combination yarn? Does anyone know if it keeps one from itching and breaking out in hives?

I am sensitive to wool (not allergic) so I can’t wear it. I’ve never heard of any problems with the products used in processing being a problem, but I’m suppose it’s possible. If hives are the issue then it’s probably a true allergy to the fiber. Has she been tested? If it’s the wool itself (likely) then you wouldn’t need to be concerned with the processing products.

I usually use cotton or acrylic blends. I don’t have problems with them, but it’s always a good idea to feel the fiber because they are definitely not created equal. Some acrylics and cottons are not soft at all.

Hi Jan, thanks for replying. My daughter is 42 and says any kind of wool or acrylic makes her itch and she has been known to break out in hives. Didn’t ask if she had been tested. I don’t buy anything made from wool either because it’s so uncomfortably itchy, but never had hives. I am trying to find out if anyone has used the cotton combinations and what their reaction was. It’s seems it’s difficult to get plugs or samples and I hate to pay for a ball or skein I end up not using but thanks for your thoughts on this.

Hmm… maybe you could get something from people’s stash on Ravelry? If you’re not a member it’s worth joining. I’ll try to remember what I’ve used.

Thanks Jan

In looking through my projects it seems I use a lot of (nice) acrylic or wool blends. I haven’t knit a lot of garments for myself. These two are ones I’ve used and liked though.

Plymouth Yarn Jeannee
Berroco Weekend

We have a total of 6 knitting places between the city and county of St. Louis, MO. I live in Chesterfield, MO, a suburb. I have only one of the six close enough to try and had planned to visit them Monday, so will ask to see the 2 you mentioned. My first project in 37 years was last month and I used Plymouth chunky for an afghan for my sister. I really liked the feel of it but she isn’t allergic to wools and I bought all my circular needles from jimmy beans. Really love their customer service. I’m anxious to see if the shop has it so I can just feel it and if necessary, buy it so my daughter can test it on her skin. If it works, I’ll buy the rest from Jimmy’s. Thanks so much for taking the time to check your stash

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: I’m fortunate in that I have a yarn store about a 1 mile away. I knit there with friends twice a week. :slight_smile:

Oh here’s another thought. Ravelry has a group called No Sheep for Me that I belong to. I haven’t looked at in a while, but they likely have ideas, too. Don’t leave us though! :slight_smile:

I will check out ravelry’s no sheep for me and I’m not leaving our group. It’s like meeting friends for lunch w/o the lunch. By the way, my first name is Toby which all are welcome to use. I’m female and will be 75 this august.
None of my friends knit, and even though you can leave a mssg to an online site, they are selling yarn, and will answer a question if they can but it takes 2-3 days to hear from anyone and it’s all business, they are not there to chat. This is like talking over the backyard fence to neighbors. I’ll let you know if I find a yarn. Have a good rest of the weekend :blush:

1 Like

:wave: Hi Toby! I thought I read somewhere that Max was your dog? I’m 65 and only learned to knit 13 yrs ago. Relative newby in the knitting world. Have a nice weekend!

Please tell me you got the book I just sent you from my email

I sent a really long from my email to you which does not register in my sent mail. If you did not get it, let me know when you can and i’'ll try to shorten and send again. Just sharing a little about me.

I did get it! Thank you! I will respond with some interesting info in a little bit. :slight_smile:

I too am allergic to wool. . People who are actually allergic to wool are allergic to the lanolin which naturally contains wool alcohols because that is what lanolin is made up of. With true wool allergies the person, like myself also cannot use commercially made cosmetics and moisturizers and a whole list of medications because they also contain lanolin. I’ve been using cotton, cotton blend and acrylic yarns for over 50 years and have never had a problem, because i wash everything before I wear or use it. Any products that do not contain lanolin (wool alcohols) are considered hypo-allergenic.

Hi​:slightly_smiling_face: So it’s lanolin which produces alcohol! I did not know About the lanolin or its connection to alcohol. i’m learning a lot. Thanks for this additional info re: wool. I know I am on the right track with the cotton blends and I think I’m ready to order a couple of them to see what reaction if any she has. If we’re lucky we can use at least one of the yarns and I can begin the cowl again. Have a great day :chipmunk:

thanks to everyone who helped me. I got information from each of you and I’m ready to explore the yarns. I will stay in touch. This site is welcoming and friendly and I look forward to touching base from time to time and gaining more knowledge :blush:

Hi, Max,

Do you heard the non-dyed cashmere? cashmere is more comfortable, but expensive, and the non-dyed cashmere don’t have alcohol or formaldehyde, I think your daughter won’t be allergic to this yarn, maybe you can have a try.

From Wilson.Jiang, been working on knitwear for 20 years.

No, but there’s a lot I haven’t heard of. Thanks for the tip though.:blush:

You are welcome:slight_smile:
have a good night to you

Alpaca is supposedly the least allergy producing natural fiber from an animal. Be sure to read this article:

I have an allergic reaction to some woolens but have never had a problem with the superwash merino. A friend that works in the yarn industry says that it is because the superwash process greatly reduces the lanolin content.

1 Like