Consecutive Yarn-overs

I’m working on pattern 10 (Goodall) in the Berroco Norah Gaughan Vol. 5 booklet. As part of the pattern, I’m supposed to do some cabling. The part that has me a bit worried is the following switch between two cables next to one another.

The first cable: sl 2 sts to cn and hold in back. k2, (k2tog, yo) from cn.
The second cable: sl 2 sts to cn and hold in front, yo, ssk, k2 from cn.

Basically, between the first cable and the second cable, I find that I have to do two yarnovers in a row. I’ve been accomplishing this thus far by just wrapping the yarn around the needle twice, but I’m not sure if that’s correct. Am I supposed to bring the working yarn between the needles or use some other technique to somehow “separate” the yarnovers? Any advice would be appreciated. It has seemed a bit awkward thus far; I always feel like I should be dropping the second half of the “double yarnover” in subsequent rows.

I don’t know if it is right or not but it is symmetrical and you do end up with a double yarn over right in the middle of the cable following that as you wrote it. So it could be right. What do they have you do there on the next row? It keeps the stitch count even to do what that says so maybe you don’t need to get rid of either of the yarn overs on the next row to make it work.

I doubt you’re going to drop one of the loops on the next row. It might say to purl into the first loop of the double YO, and ptbl into the 2nd loop, or to k1 p the other or something along those lines so you don’t get a giant hole there.

It might say to purl into the first loop of the double YO, and ptbl into the 2nd loop, or to k1 p the other or something along those lines so you don’t get a giant hole there.
My thinking too, but just a guess. :thumbsup:

I had thought about doing the p1, p1tbl on the next row, but the instructions just say to purl…But yes, this gives me a hole that doesn’t go away. I guess I’ll try p1, p1tbl on the subsequent row. Many thanks for the advice.

Bah! Yes, you folks are right. I just looked at the pattern and there’s a tiny note at the bottom that says to do just that - p1, p1tbl to fix it. Thanks!

Yeah, if you just do purl sts into each loop, you still get a big hole. I didn’t think it would myself until I tried it and saw it.