Confused... Please help!

I’ve recently taken up knitting and I’ve done the basic stitches and now feel that I’m ready to start increases and decreases, but I’m confused by what the pattern instructions say… I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I’m wondering how to do the k3 [inc in next st] twice. If anyone could answer I’d be grateful.

This is what the pattern says:
Cast on a multiple of 12sts.
Row 1 (RS): *K2tog, k3, [inc in next st] twice, k3, s1 k1 psso, rep from * to end.
Row 2: P.
Rep rows 1 and 2 to form patt.

Hi. Welcome to knitting and to Knitting Help!

When you encounter asterisks ( * *) it means to repeat everything inside them, in this case you just keep doing the same thing to the end of the row.

When you encounter the square brackets ( [ ] ) you repeat what’s inside the specified number of times, in this case 3 times.

So… you will:

k2 tog
k3
inc in the next st
inc in the next st
k3
sl1 psso

and do it all again until you finish the row.

If you need help with the increases, your pattern might specify which one to use, if not you can do a knit front and back (kfb). In the Free Videos section you’ll find all kinds of increases. The same goes for the decrease (sl1 k1 psso).

Purl the next row, then repeat both rows.

HTH and be sure to ask if you need anything else or if what I wrote doesn’t make sense to you, someone else can probably do it better.

Happy knitting!