Confused language

Hello friends, working on “owl” sweater, pattern # C818 by Penny Straker. The language is very confusing it says: Neckband: with #3 needle, right side facing starting at right front, inc 5 sts evenly, knit holder sts. Then pick up and knit, entering inner half of shaped and outer half of straight edge sts, 24 sts. Can someone help decipher what this mean?
Thank you

Adorable pattern.
It seems to be saying pick up the inner strand of the stitch along the shaped sides of the neck but when you get to a straight edge, maybe that along the back or even the neck front, pick up through the outer half of the edge stitch.
I don’t like this way of picking up and would rather pick up both strands of the edge stitch or even one stitch in from the edge. I don’t like leaving a hole at a weak, one strand edge.

Dear Salmonmac, thank you for your prompt reply and your recommendation to pick up both legs of the stitch for a better look. I will do that. The pattern is cute but the way they wrote it is not user friendly.
Thank you so much for your help❤️

RoseD

Hi Salmonmac, thank you for your help😀 the pattern is “child Owl & cap # C818 by pennystraker”

2 Likes

That’s a very sweet version and probably comes in a larger size than the one I have. Thanks for the photo.

And it reads for the neckband as follows:
With #3 needle right side facing, right front, attach yarn and inc. 5 sts at even intervals, knit holder sts. * Pick up and knit, entering inner half of shaped and outer half of straight edge sts, (24sts) to holder* Inc 9 sts at even intervals, knit holder sts. Repeat from * to*. Inc firmly 5 sts at even intervals, knit holder sts to (119 sts) making last buttonhole in 2nd amd 3rd rows. Work all sts in P1, K 1 ribbing for 3/4” bind of in ribbing across first and last 2”.

Knit across the held sts on the front, increasing 5 sts as you do. (If 5 seems like too many, increase whatever seems reasonable. You can always add a couple of increases on the next row.) For the picked up sts, as I mentioned above, go through both strands of the edge stitch or pick up one stitch in from the edge.
Knit across the held sts increasing 9sts as you knit these sts.
Repeat between the asterisks then knit the front left sts, increasing 5sts across.
On the next row you’ll be working p1k1 rib but you can also increase at this point if you think the neck seems too tight or you’re too much below 119sts.
https://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/pick-up-and-knit-stitches

Thank you Salmonmac for your patience and your help​:pray: I will try to do that :frowning: Never seen instructions so confusing