Confused by old school pattern

Hi, does anyone know if “won” is the same as “wrn?” I have an old lace pattern and both of these terms are used in it - which I found a bit confusing if only because I thought they were the same thing. I thought that maybe “won” is used for the purl rows and “wrn” for the knit rows - ? - but am not sure. I understand both of them to be essentially yarn overs - is this correct? If anyone has any ideas, I’d be very grateful – thanks a lot!


wo=wool over or weave over

won=wool over needle

wrh=wool round hook

wrn=wool round needle

I found them all here

Thanks a lot, I think I had sleuthed out that same site you suggest and found it to be helpful. I just wondered if “wool over needle” was the same as “wool around the needle”? It seemed odd that they would use two different terms that I thought meant the same thing in one pattern. Thanks for your reply!

WON=Keeping wool at front of right hand needle so that it will pass over needle (w.o.n. = wool over needle) in order to make a loop at side edge, K2 tog. (2 sts. on right hand needle)

still searching for the WRN

update: (wrn or won) To make a stitch in this way the thread is passed over or round the right needle before working the next stitch. A “wool round the needle” (wrn) adds one stitch if knitted once in the next row. However, in some patterns this stitch is worked into more than once, so that several extra stitches are made. When making more than one increase work the stitch as follows: k 1, p 1, k 1, alternately into the same stitch. to compensate for extra stitches made in this way, decrease by taking 2 stitches together, generally on the same row, or knitting the “made stitch” with the next stitch on the following row. Most openwork patterns are formed by “made” stitches and sometimes they form a link effect when drawn over several stitches.
There are several ways of “making” stitches according to how the thread is passed round or over the needle. Therefore when following a pattern read the instructions carefully.

man, I hope that helps… there isn’t much out there about this topic… I’m sure once Amy comes on, she could help you… or one of the mod squad…

Hi Aby,

You’re great (and those kitties are adorable!). What you wrote helps! Thanks a lot! I just got confused I think trying to understand what the difference is between the two terms and if there indeed is any difference at all. It seems like wrapping your wool around the needle would be the same thing as wrapping the wool over the needle – but as you say, there are different ways of making a stitch and I thought there might be something I’m missing there since the two different terms were used in the same pattern (one would think that the author of the pattern would use one consistent term throughout if they in fact meant the same thing – I dunno!)…one site I found that lists abbreviations - like the link in your first reply - says that “wool round the needle” is the same as a “yarn over.” And that makes a lot of sense - I guess I just wondered if that was the case with “wool over the needle” too. Anyway! Thanks so much for your post - I appreciate it!

Hi, I guess the best way to figure things out sometimes is to simply sit down, wool in hand and work a pattern through until ya got it. It seems that “wrn” and “won” are the same thing - and that both are yarn overs. I think the author of the pattern was just trying to differentiate between purl and knit rows – the yo feels slightly different when doing it on a purl row and is more of a wool round the needle type of action…anyway - thanks again, Kristy