Classic Elite Waterspun Weekend yarn

Does anyone know where I could find this yarn. I have a rug pattern that uses this yarn. I have not been able to find any. Is there a good substitute for this yarn that would work for a knitted rug?

Well, according to Yarndex that particular yarn was discontinued in 2004. Here is the link to it’s details at Yarndex:

http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=660

comparing the needle size to the gauge I believe it would fall into the Super Bulky yarn category.

http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

However, I cannot recommend a singular yarn brand to use as a substitute. Hopefully, this information can still be of use to you.

Katrina

Rowan Big Wool or Lion Brand Big might be good substitutes. They are both plied yarns (several strands twisted together) unlike Waterspun Weekend, which was a felted singles (one thick strand), so the effect will not be quite the same, but if the gauge matches you should be okay. I made a pullover with Weekend and was not thrilled with it – it pilled like crazy and because of its singles structure, had a tendency to pull apart as it was being knit. You might actually get better results with a substitute.

For other suggestions, go to yarndex.com and click on Super Bulky.

I willl look into those. I was concerned that I needed the felted yarn for the rug to hold up but maybe that would not be the case. Maybe I will try the Lion Brand to see how it works up for a rug and use it awhile before making any more for gifts. I thought these rugs would be a great thing to try. The pattern was published in a 2001 book. I don’t remember the exact title since I am writing this from work. l It is something like Yarn Stash or Stach Buster. The book has several good projects from different yarn stores around the country.

Believe it or not, we still have some of this in our shop. It is regular 10.00, 1/2 price for 5.00. We have white, red and blue left if it is something you would still be interested in after all these years.