CHRISTENING GOWN: BabyDrops 11-15

Hi to all you knitters! My name is Zee and I’ve been knitting for a 1 year now. Not sure if I am still considered a newbie.

I’ve never took on a knitting project that challenged me, but I am now. Not sure if it’s only me, but Drops knitting instructions are kind of difficult to understand. I decided to make a christening gown, but there are a lot of things I do not understand. For instances, Pin tuck, I am not sure where and when I suppose to do it and the instructions period I don’t have a clear understanding.

Can someone help, I have pasted in the instructions.

Pin tuck: P 1 row from the RS and then 4 rows stockinette sts. Work next row as follows from the WS: Pick up the upper part of st under the purled row, put loop on right needle, P1, lift the loop over P st to close the loop, repeat from -. Work 2 rows stockinette sts between each pin tuck.

Dress:
Worked back and forth on circular needle from mid back. Loosely cast on 378-412 sts on circular needle size 2.5 mm / US 1 or 2.
Work diagram M.1 (1st row = RS) but knit 2 edge sts each side in garter sts until finished measurements.
After M.1 work 1 row stockinette sts and continue with 2 pin tucks – see explanation above.
Work 1 row in stockinette sts whilst dec 11-13 sts evenly on row = 367-399 sts.
Now work the 4 first rows of M.2 (work sts not fitting into row of holes in stockinette sts).
Work the next 9 rows of M.2 as follows: 2 edge sts in garter sts, 1 repeat with holes, 3 repeats without holes (= 24 sts in stockinette sts), repeat from - until there are 13 sts left. Work these as follows: 1 repeat with holes, 3 sts in stockinette sts and 2 edge sts in garter sts (in the section with 24 sts without holes you may add the names of the children christened in the gown).
Now work the last 4 rows of M.2 over all sts (work sts not fitting into row of holes in stockinette sts). Continue in leaf pattern – see explanation above - at the same time dec 18-20 sts on the first row = 349-379 sts.
After the leaf pattern work diagram M.2 with 2 edge sts each side in garter sts, at the same time dec 6-4 sts evenly = 343-375 sts.
Work 1 row in stockinette sts, at the same time dec 18-20 sts evenly = 325-355 sts. Now work 2 pin tucks and 1 row in stockinette sts, at the same time dec 21-31 sts evenly = 304-324 sts. Continue in diagram M.3 until piece measures approx 63-72 cm / 24 3/4"-28 3/8" – adjust after a full repeat.
Work next row as follows from WS: 2 edge sts in garter sts, P2 tog, repeat from - over all sts and finish with 2 edge sts in garter sts = 154-164 sts.
Work 2 rows in stockinette sts (1st row = RS), at the same time dec 18-14 sts evenly on last row = 136-150 sts.
Now work 4 pin tucks and 1 row in stockinette sts.
Work next row as follows from WS: K 38-42, P 60-66, K 38-42.
Bind off 36-40 sts each side on next row. Piece now measures approx 68-77 cm / 26 3/4"-30 3/8".

Hi and welcome!
Drops patterns can be a bit confusing partly because they’re translations and they are trying so hard to be absolutely clear. Some directions are repeated and become confusing.
The pintucks occur in the skirt, the first time on line 4 of the Dress directions. You’re going to be making little tucks along the skirt by joining one row to the row that is 4 or 5 rows below it. It would probably be best to try this out on a swatch until you’re happy that you can do it and see the result you want.

Pin tuck: P 1 row from the RS and then 4 rows stockinette sts. Work next row as follows from the WS: Pick up the upper part of st under the purled row, put loop on right needle, P1, lift the loop over P st to close the loop, repeat from -. Work 2 rows stockinette sts between each pin tuck.

Then let us know which next step is confusing. If we take it step by step as you knit, it’ll be easier to help out.

OMG! I can’t believe it, you are great! Thank you so much Salmonmac for your help! I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions.

Here’s a video for a tuck which is not exactly the same as your directions but it’s close.

See if it helps.

I am not sure but where do I start. The pattern says to start the row with a k2 together and end with a = slip 1 st as if to knit, K1, psso? Not sure how to start and end? I can’t even paste the diagram explanations.

I am not sure but where do I start. The pattern says to start the row with a k2 together and end with a = slip 1 st as if to knit, K1, psso? Not sure how to start and end? I can’t even paste the diagram explanations.

The pattern for the dress starts:
Dress:
Knitted back and forth on circular needle from mid back. [U]Loosely cast on 378-412 sts [/U]on circular needle size 2.5 mm / US 1.
[U]Knit M.1 (1st row = RS) [/U]but knit 2 edge sts each side in garter sts until finished measurements.

Each row will start with knit 2sts. Those are your edge sts. So k2 and then start chart M.1 at the bottom right.
Take a look at this video for chart reading if you need a primer.