Children's books featuring knitting

I run a small family day care and am always looking for interesting books to add to our collection. My four-year-old enjoys this book; it’s funny and has a simple rhyming scheme and word choices that reinforce early phonics awareness:

Then my daughter pulled this one out at the children’s museum library yesterday. I loved it! It takes the process from shearing to washing to carding to spinning to dip-dyeing to knitting. (Although the actual knitting process happens miraculously quickly.)

Do you have any knitting-centered picture books or even books for older kids you’d recommend?

1 Like

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I’ve ordered the Underpants for Ants already. @Jan_in_CA, this sounds like a good gift from Gramma!

2 Likes

It does! I put it on my reminder list! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those sound so adorable

When I was young, I loved the book Socks for Supper. It’s about a couple who used the yarn from the man’s sweater to knit socks to trade for cheese from their neighbors.

2 Likes

Debbie Macomber has written a few children’s books. The titles are:

The Yippy Yappy Yorkie in the Green Doggy Sweater

The Truly Terribly Horrible Sweater that Grandma Knit

Hth,
Knitcindy

1 Like

Oh dear, I’m in fear lest The Truly Terribly Horrible might hit too close to home!
Thanks for the recommendations, knitcindy.

1 Like

I don’t think it would be all that bad, salmonmac!! I haven’t read either of those books but they do look interesting!!!

Knitcindy

I just did a search for

Knitting fiction
or
Yarn fiction

On our library’s website. I found at least 20 kids books that looked interesting. See what u can find at your library!!

Knitcindy

I only found a couple including:
Leave Me Alone (about a gramma who goes to the moon to find a quiet place to finish her grandchildren’s knitting)
and Boys Don’t Knit.