Checker patterned baby blanket

Hello,
This is my first time posting a question here.
I am a super beginner knitter. But I’ve decided to be ambitious and knit a baby blanket for my first baby who’s due on Feb. next year. :heart:
The pattern I would like to create is blue and green checker pattern with basketweave with blue garter stitch borders all around. How should I connect the two colors continuously through out the whole blanket so I don’t have to cut the yarn everytime I swich color?
Thank you.

Depending on how large the squares are you’ll need to learn intarsia or fair isle (standed) knitting. Both videos can be found under the Advanced Techniques tab at the top of the page. They aren’t difficult, but will take some practice to learn. One thing to note is that neither of them will look nice on the backside so if you choose to do this you’ll probably want to add a backing of flannel, fleece or some other fabric. :wink:

Welcome to the forum!! :cheering:

What you’re talking about is intarsia knitting. What you’d need to do is use a separate strand for each square of the checkerboard–a major undertaking, I’m afraid.

Thank you so much for your replies.
This is the best knitter’s website I ever found. :happydance:
The video clips are so much helpful. I watched intarsia video and it looks like I can manage. But I think I will finish the first blanket with one color and try my dream design next time, after more practice.
Thank you.

You can get the checkered/basketweave effect by using knit and purl stitches, too. Here’s a really old post of a basket weave baby blanket with instructions included. Just in case you are interested. :slight_smile:

Basket Weave Baby Blanket

I did a cashmere scarf in this type of pattern and it’s super cute :slight_smile: I was really pleased with how it turned out and plan to do more :slight_smile:

I did a cashmere scarf in this type of pattern and it’s super cute :slight_smile: I was really pleased with how it turned out and plan to do more :slight_smile: