Chart reading help

[SIZE=“1”][B]hey everyone,
i started on my first pair of socks which contains a cabled rib and a cabled honeycomb stitch, which i am unfamiliar with. he gives a chart for these stitches, but it seems that there is a discrepancy in the number of stitches called for in the pattern and what is called for in the chart.
here are the directions.
and here is the chart.
i appreciate any help that can be given!
–alyson[/B][/SIZE]

From what I can tell, it should work out.

You have 66 stitches on the needles, and your set-up row is divided up like this:

16, 2, (6,2,6,2,6,2,6,2) 16 = 66

2 repeats of the honeycomb = 16
p2 = 2
(32 stitches of cable rib chart/4 repeats) = 32
2 repeats of the honeycomb = 16

Added together that makes 66.

thanks for your reply.
i saw it that way at first too until i saw the legend where the first symbol calls for six stitches and the second calls for eight.
am i just reading it wrong?

The stitch count has to be correct, since the plain rows have the same number of stitches all up the pattern.

Do you have a link to a picture of the sock?

My first thought is that the description of the cables is incorrect.

Looking at the symbols, it appears that the first symbol should have you slip 2 stitches to a cable needle and hold in front, k2, k2 from cable needle. This will give you a left-leaning cable.

The second should be to slip 2 stitches and hold in back, k2, k2 from cable needle. This will give you a right-leaning cable.

I agree with Ingrid that the description of the cables is incorrect – those symbols are standardly used for a cable over four stitches (two to cable, two not) rather than over eight or over six (!), because it takes up four squares. The honeycomb fits if you do a 2+2 cable.

…the cabled rib, though, is a bit weird also – even using the standard definition for those symbols, it takes up /16/ stitches, not 8, so doing it four times would need 64 stitches rather than 32. (It’s possible that when the person was writing the pattern, they were thinking that the second set of eight is the same as the first set except for the cable direction, and wrote it as an 8-stitch (alternating) “repeat” rather than a 16-stitch repeat.)