Chart question

This is probably a foolish question because I have yet to use a chart, but I found this pattern for a dishcloth with a candy cane motif and the chart has no symbols, so how do you knit by the chart?

Joyce

well i know someone who is more experienced is going to be able to answer this better than me but i think the only reason a chart has symbols is to tell you the changes in stitches… this one only changes colors. the stitches themselves are all stockinette in the middle. it looks like you just need to worry about knowing how to change colors and how many stitches of each color you need in each row.

What Brenda said!

uh huh.

I just [color=red][/color]knew that you would know Kelly…you are experienced :thumbsup: Thanks all!!

Thanks, but…um…Brenda & Nik knew before me! :wink:

Thanks Nik and Brenda :oops:

You read a color chart from right to left on the front and from left to right on the back. There are no symbols because you just use the colors, intarsia style, where the colored squares are.

This is stranding, not intarsia.

This is stranding, not intarsia.[/quote]

“stranded knitting” is more like Fair Isle, where the color is carried all across the row. I see this is as more of an intarsia since the pattern is kind of self-contained in the middle.

Intarsia is when each block of color is knit with a separate ball or bobbin of yarn, and you do not carry the yarn to the next block. In this pattern, since each block is so small, you should carry the yarn for each color, that would be stranding a small design.

However, this is not what the thread is about, so we should probably stop this little discussion here. :wink:

harrrrrrrrrrumph…i was actually enjoying this conversation cuz i was trying to figure out how i would know if i was to use one over the other. though i do practice a bit of avoidance when it comes to doing patterns that might make me do one or another i did find intarsia fairly easy when i did it…but it was a big ol’ square i was blocking off so it was under the best possible circumstances i believe…lol

I think its more semantics than anything else. Lets say its intarsia, with the pattern done stranded. If it had two candy canes it would be done the same way, just with two sets of red and white yarn. If you have a pattern centered in a ‘sea’ of solid color, I see that as intarsia. If, however, that pattern is multicolored, you’re doing stranded knitting within it.

Good point Ingrid. I guess we could call it Intarstranding? LOL

Sounds good to me! :cheering:

I really have enjoyed the conversation…this forum is better than any knitting book I’ve read :wink:

Joyce

oooooOoooO that made my head hurt :?? Ingrid or Silver, do you happen to have examples (not ones you have done personally I mean! just say, patterns you have seen) of the 2? I mean I know what a fair isle pattern is… but maybe something using stranded method non fair isle??? I am much more of a visual person that a description person :blush:

Sorry, to lazy to spell check right now.

I can’t think of one off-hand that I would know how to post, but here’s an example: Let’s say you were going to make a Christmas sweater. The background is all red. On it you put some plain ornaments–straight intarsia. On this sweater you also want to make a decorated Christmas tree. The green of the tree would be considered intarsia because you would stop the red yarn from the sweater on one side of the tree and restart it on the other. However, since the decorations on the tree are close together, you would strand them across without attaching a new piece of yarn for each one. Does that make sense?

Ok so basically mass “blocks” of color will be intars(you know I can’t spell that) and finer color work will be stranded?

All you’re missing is the I-A! You’re getting there.

Yes, basically if you have to have the mc yarn stop before and start after the motif, they it’s artesia. If the yarn can be carried across the back, it’s stranding.