Casting On

If you’re working on something and partway through, like at a collar, you’re asked to cast on stitches, what type of cast on would you use if you’re trying to make it look as close as possible to a typical bind off?

I usually use the backward loop when I have to add stitches. You can also use any of the single strand cast ons. The cable and knitted ones might look more like a ‘normal’ cast on, but you won’t match cast on and bind off exactly.

I used the backword loop (also at ingrid’s suggestion) and it found it so hard to do on the pattern itself so I knit myself several squares and just randomly put in cast on stitches in the middle of the sqaures using the backward loop method to practice and then it felt much more smooth when trying it on the pattern. It’s so akward at first so you might want to practice alot first if it’s new.

isn’t the backwards loop cast on essentially the same as the M1towards increase? that’s how i have always done it anyway. :??

:shrug: Amy calls it a single cast on or backward loop. It’s not an increase, but a cast on technique.

You know what? I just watched the video for the M1 towards increase since you mentioned it, and it is the same as backwards loop cast on.

Learn something new every day!

Thanks for all these answers! Now I know what to look up.

Speaking of increases, is it just me being new at this, or do you end up with a little hole, too, when you do a knit front and back of a stitch?

Maybe a little hole sometimes, but the trademark of a knit in front and back is a little horizontal bar across.

I watched the video again, and I’m doing it right, but I do get a hole. I’m also knitting too tightly. The increase happens along an edge and now the edge is puckering.

sigh

I’m tempted to frog it a second time. Or would blocking help this?

Not necessarily; loosen up if you’re knitting tight and that should prevent the puckers.

sue

Thinking about this again, I knit this pattern a while ago:
http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/picovoli.htm , it was knit top down with lots of kfb increases to form the raglan ‘seams’ and because they were done every row it did kind of pucker a bit but it actually looked right once it was all said and done. I wonder if that’s what’s happening?? I’m trying to find a good picture of what I mean…

Okay, this picture isn’t very close up to show what I mean, but notice the raglan seams and how they’re kind of holey and puckered?? That was all done with kfb increases. Is this what you mean?

Kind of only my holes were larger. I did end up frogging it before I thought of taking a photo to show. The knitting is really tight, so much so that it was difficult to put back on the needles once I took it apart. Part of my difficulty in doing it is because I have a problem going from knit to purl, leaving a large purl stitch so I think I overcompensated across the board.

I’m working on magknit’s Blossom with has a garter stitch border: http://www.magknits.com/Jan06/patterns/blossom.htm