Casting On Mid Pattern

Following my last question here I received a fantastic answer explaining a perfect technique I’d never used before. I’m hoping to gain another “perfect technique” for another stubborn question.

I’m knitting the back of a sweater and I need to add stitches to expand for the back of the sleeves. The directions tell me to cast on 5 stitches at the beginning of the next 16 rows. I’m knitting in St st so adding the stitches to the RS (knit row) was simple. I added the stitches to the P row but am having problems. The stitches P just fine but I end up with a long strand of yarn between the stitches and my work when I finish purling the added stitches. Even if I just keep on knitting the main body of the sweater there is an awkward mess of yarn between the main body and the added stitches.

I’ve attempted a couple of different cast on methods, but nothing works. Will the mess of loose yarn work itself out or am I doing something wrong that can be adjusted to work more effectively?

Thanks again!

I’d use a knitted cast on or a cable cast on. Did you try one of those?

I tried both with no success. I still end up with a long piece of yarn between the work and the added stitches.

With either the knit or cable CO you immediately work them after adding them so there shouldn’t be any ‘strand’ between the newly added sts and your existing ones. (They should just appear to be a continuation of that row.) Once you CO the 5 you are then working back across that row, be it K or P.

If a P row, you CO 5, P those 5 new sts and then P the rest of the row. Assuming the newly CO sts are done properly…they should be rather snug on the ndl…there shouldn’t be a gap.

[COLOR=“DarkGreen”]|—[/COLOR]PPPPPPPPPPPP[COLOR=“Blue”]PPPPP[/COLOR][COLOR=“DarkGreen”]----->[/COLOR]

Okay! My Mom said that I should cast on the stitches but not K or P them until the next time around. The pattern says cast on at the beginning of the row. Do I cast them on then not K or P until the next time around? Unforuntately regardless of the cast on type I’m still getting the strand in the middle.

Do I cast them on then not K or P until the next time around?

You have to work them on the same row you added them in order to get to the existing sts of that same row.

----[COLOR=“Red”]PPPPPPP/COLOR(P2)(P3)(P4)(P5)—>

As depicted here, and in my prev post, the 5 new sts are now at the working end of your ndl. In order to get to the old Ps (red)…the ones that were there before you CO… you have to work P5, P4, etc to reach them. (Your working yarn (to your skein) is attached to P5.) You work them in the reverse order you put them on your ndl.

You have to work them on the same row you added them in order to get to the existing sts of that same row.

Bingo!

I had a similar problem the first time I had to cast on stitches in a row. I cast them on but didn’t work them and it resulted in the same issue you’re having here. Cast them on and then work them immediately, and they’ll look just like the rest of that row.