Casting on in the middle of a row?

I am doing a buttonhole row in a baby’s dress.
In the previous row the pattern asks that you cast off a stitch to make a buttonhole every 5th stitch. On the next row it says cast on 2 stitches where you cast off . I don’t know how to do this. Can someone help? Please:

my knitting book, says to knit in the front of the stitch and then knit in the back of the stitch. This way you are making 2 stitches for each stitch.

you didn’t mention how many you are casting off to make the button hole, but you said you are casting on two new, so I would think the stitch before where you cast off, you knit front and back of stitch, and then the stitch at the end of where you cast off you knit in front and back, this way you have added two new stitches.

Reading that over it, looks to be about as clear as mud, so let me know if you want me to re-phrase it. :waving:

good luck! :slight_smile:

Most people use the backward loop cast on (aka single cast on) for the middle of a row. You can also use the cable cast on if you prefer.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

KFB (knit front and back) won’t work in this case.

I knew there must be a way because I remembered casing on before but could not find where I had done it. The link is exactly what I needed. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, but I do believe what I need is what Jan says. Maybe take a look at the link and see, it could be something you could use in the future too! Nice of you to offer though, thanks again!

Actually that’s one I do use, but for some reason couldn’t think of it at the time. (but I use my thumb) Would work much better for more than 2 stitches. I’m not sure what the difference in look would be. (I’ll have to make a sample of the two sometime.)
anyway - good luck with your baby dress!
I should pick back up on the one I started to make a while ago, and finish it. I’ve got far too many projects going at once, I need to finish a few.:eyes: