Casting On and Live Stitches?

Hello all, I’m new to knitting and thought I’d try out a small cardigan to practice.
I came across this line in the pattern: Break yarn, CO 10 on right needle, purl across live sts on left needle, CO 10 on right needle.
I’m a bit confused. Am I supposed to end up with 10 new stitches, the middle part, and then 10 new stitches? Should I break the yarn again to cast on the second set of new stitches? Then do I treat it all as one big row when I start the next row?
This is for the yoke of the cardigan, if that helps. Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Yes, that’s what it is - 10 new sts, the old sts, 10 new sts. But you don’t really need to break the yarn at all. At the end of the previous row, just turn and CO 10 sts in knit or cable CO, work across both the new and old sts, then turn and CO 10 more sts and work across all the sts.

The reason they explained it this way, is so the CO sts would still be ‘new’ on the first row where you cast them on. But it doesn’t really show at all if you have an ‘extra’ row on the first set, and most patterns are written that way.

That makes a lot of sense, and it was very helpful! Thank you so much!