Casting off in crab

Hi I am new here, I hope someone can help me. I am doing a doll dress pattern and it says to cast off in crab and I just can’t seem to grasp the concept, here is what it says:

Cast off in crab stitch as follows: K 2nd st, k 1st stitch, cast off 1 st. k 2nd st, (st remains on ndl) cast off 1 st, k 1st st (both sts slip off ndl) cast off 1 st, to last st, cast off 1, fasten off

I have been knitting for many years and this is the first time in 30 years that knitting confuses me. Right from the first stitch on it doesn’t make any sense, it says to knit the 2nd stitch, so what do you do with the first stitch…
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KnittingJewel…I, too, have been knitting for over 30 years and I’ve never ever seen that cast off. Would a regular cast off work just as well?

I found this explanation in a Knitty pattern…maybe this will help. This is the site:

http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTknucks.html

and these were the instructions, but they are for crochet, even though the pattern was knitted.

[I][FONT=Verdana]How to crochet your very own crab stitch edging, [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Verdana]even if you’re really really scared.[/FONT][/I]

[B][FONT=Verdana]Story [/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Verdana](feel free to skip)[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana]I have this wonderful zip-up sweater that I’ve been wearing for years, and I could not for the life of me figure out what the edging was. It was a lovely, thick corded edge. It wasn’t until I started looking for an alternative edging for a cuff that I found out it was [B]crab stitch[/B]. At first, I didn’t get it. I tried crocheting backwards – and it just looked like crochet! Most of the instructions I found did not explain the little twist you need to do to make it work. So here you go, crab stitch tutorial. Try it on your next project! [/FONT]

[B][FONT=Verdana]Attributes[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana]Crab stitch is also known as reverse single crochet or shrimp stitch. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It gives you a thick but light, decorative corded edging. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]You can work it on a crocheted or knitted fabric. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It’s CROCHET, so you need a hook. Got that, knitters? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Firm up the edge of your work, keeps it from rolling. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I found my cuff edge tight at first, but it stretched nicely (in wool) after a few wears. You want to do it pretty loose.[/FONT]

[B][FONT=Verdana]Technique (real low-tech-like, for baby crocheters) [/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana]I like to work this edging on a row of single crochet. So first, I cast off loosely in single crochet. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]At the end of your row/round of single crochet, do not turn your work. You will be working from left to right. Do one chain stitch. (not illustrated)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]**[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Insert the hook in the first stitch to the right. Ok, in this photo it’s not actually the first stitch, because I’ve done some already. But you see how to insert the hook through two loops on the top there, to the right of your working yarn. [/FONT]

Ooops…that was only part of the instructions…the tutorial is on that website I gave you. It has some pictures and more instructions.

It is a collar on a dress and it looks, hope you can see and it has a nice edge on it, I could do a regular cast off but it wouldn’t look as nice, thanks for trying

Thanks for trying, I came across this one when I was searching but this is a crochet one and I am looking for a knit one, thanks anyway.

Somebody give me my “props” cause I knew the answer to this:woohoo::woohoo:I have finally passed the newbie stage:yay: Now, if I can just remember where I seen this (rev crochet) :aww: :muah:

Cast off in crab stitch as follows: K 2nd st, k 1st stitch, cast off 1 st. k 2nd st, (st remains on ndl) cast off 1 st, k 1st st (both sts slip off ndl) cast off 1 st, to last st, cast off 1, fasten off

I have been knitting for many years and this is the first time in 30 years that knitting confuses me. Right from the first stitch on it doesn’t make any sense, it says to knit the 2nd stitch, so what do you do with the first stitch…
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It does tell what to do with the 1st st…
"K 2nd st, k 1st stitch, cast off 1 st."
Unless you read that as k 1 st st…

ok, I still don’t get it, is it saying to slip the first stitch and then knit the second stitch, then slip them back and knit the first stitch, it still is not clear to me

No… I think you knit the second stitch (while it’s still the second stitch on the needle) – but you don’t drop anything off the left needle, just pull the stitch through. And then you knit into the first stitch, so it’s kind of twisted, like a mini cable.

(something like that, anyway)

Knit crab st? I can’t get that to work either.
Would a Picot Bind Off be a good substitute if the Crab St. doesn’t work out?

I guess no one knows how to do this either. Thanks for the suggestion Jints, I think I will do a picot bind off.