Cast on 5 stitches, knit around

This is only my second project and I just wanted to know if Cast on 5 stitches, knit around means I will be knitting in the round? If so it says I need Both double points and a circular Needles But it says I will switch from using the double points to a circular needle. half way down the pattern so How would I go about knitting in the round on just one set of double points? Or is one set a set of 4 cause I only saw sets of two in the store.

What are you making? It sounds like you start on DPNs because the object is small then switch to circs when it’s big enough. DPNs always come in a set of 4 or 5 needles.

it’s a Round or Pinwheel Baby Blanket pattern here: http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm

You start with the double points, putting your cast on stitches on 3 or 4 of them, depending on if you have a 4 or 5 needle set. Use the extra needle to knit around. When the piece gets larger, you can knit on to the circular as if it’s another double pointed needle.

Any needles in sets of 2 were single pointed needles because they have a piece on the other `end’ to keep the stitches from coming off.

sue

Ahhh ok Thanks. :slight_smile:

Question? Does anyone think I could use Magic Loop Knitting to do this?

You can after you have about 10-15 sts on it, but to start out it would be more difficult. What you could do is knit the first rows flat until you get about 15 sts, then switch to circulars and ML. Use the CO tail to seam up those few rows and you won’t be able to tell they were knit flat.

sue