Can somebody help me learn this knitting pattern?

Hi There,
Pls pardon me for such a silly post.
I am a newbie… and this is the first time I am trying to knit something serious. And after a search through I realised there are so many patterns which I havent realised they exist…hehehe…
And I picked up this simple placemats thinking that for a newbie like me this should help and alas. when I read through. I couldnot understand how to read the pattern :verysad:

The pattern I am looking is:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Choose%20Your%20Own%20Adventure%20Placemats%20Pattern_PD50580220.html

The pattern says this:

Row 1: *K1, P1. Repeat from *.
Row 2: *P1, K1. Repeat from *.
Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures 2 inches long, ending with a RS row.
Next row (WS): (P1, K1) 5 times, pm, (P1, K1) until ten stitches remain, pm, (P1,
K1) 5 times.
Begin Bars
Row 1 (RS): (K1, P1) 5 times, sl marker, work row 1 of desired pattern stitch, sl
marker, (K1, P1) 5 times.
Row 2: (P1, K1) 5 times, sl marker, work row 2 of desired pattern stitch, sl marker,
(K1, P1) 5 times.
Continue working these two rows, changing the pattern stitch as desired to create
various bars of texture. Work until piece measures 11 inches from cast on, ending
with row 2.
Row 1 (RS): *K1, P1. Repeat from *.
Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures 13 inches from cast on edge. Bind off all
stitches in pattern on WS row.
Directions (Vertical Columns) worked left to right
Cast on 60 sts.
Row 1: *K1, P1. Repeat from *.
Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures 2 inches long, ending with a RS row.
Next row (WS): (P1, K1) 5 times, pm, (P1, K1) until ten stitches remain, pm, (P1,
K1) 5 times.
Begin Columns
Row 1 (RS): (K1, P1) 5 times, sl marker, work row 1 of desired pattern stitch, sl
marker, (K1, P1) 5 times.
Row 2: (P1, K1) 5 times, sl marker, work row 2 of desired pattern stitch, sl marker,
(K1, P1) 5 times.
Continue working these two rows, changing the pattern stitch as desired to create
various columns of texture. Work until piece measures 16 inches from cast on, ending
with row 2.
Row 1 (RS): *K1, P1. Repeat from *.
Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures 18 inches from cast on edge. Bind off all stitches in pattern on WS row.

I understood that K1 is knit and P1 is purl :woohoo:
but where does Row 1 comes? how will i know abt the row1 row 2 etc untill I hv done some knitting…

though this is a silly silly question… I would be grateful if anybody could help me in reading the patterns…
Not only this. i tried few more patterns but then i couldnot move on with knitting. since I am not able to understand reading the knitting…

Thanks a lot of your help in advance…
Regards

Hi, welcome to Knitting Help!

I didn’t download the pattern, but it has to tell you how many stitches to cast on. That will be the length of your row. After you’ve cast on, you’ll turn your knitting needles and K1,P1 to the end of that row, then repeat the pattern for the first two inches.

There are a lot of videos that Amy has done for the site, take a look at them, and if you have anymore questions, just ask.

No silly questions!

First, Row 1 is when you work from one end to the other of a needle. You turn your work when you’ve done all the stitches, and will begin Row 2. Your first row begins after you cast on your sts and are ready to go.

Where it says “pm”, then you will place a marker on your needle to mark that place. This can be a piece of yarn that you tie in a circle. Where it says “sl m” then you just slip your marker from one needle to the other, without working it of course.

According to your pattern, your Row 1 will be the RS (Right Side) of the work, and Row 2 will be the WS (Wrong Side)

The videos at the top are really great for helping you out with a lot of things you need to know. There are also lots of great knitters on here who can help too.

Patterns give you the instructions for what to do on Row 1, 2, and any others. You do what’s written for the first row, then the 2nd, etc. The * tells you to repeat what’s after it - *K1, P1. Repeat from * - means to do k1, p1 all the way across the row. Then after you do 2 inches of alternating row 1 and row 2, ending with row 1,on the next row -

[COLOR=Red]Next row (WS): (P1, K1) 5 times, pm, (P1, K1) until ten stitches remain, pm, (P1, K1) 5 times
[COLOR=Black]
you add markers to the basic pattern of row 2 after every 10 sts; [/COLOR][/COLOR] (P1, K1) 5 times means to p a st, k a st 5 times, or for 10 sts.

All the knitters there,
Thanks so much for your valuable help.
I will start knitting soon with the help of ur suggestions .