Cables

Okay. So I made my own pattern for a bag I am making, but the cables somehow keep ending up on the BACK. I even added a row, but it still ended up on the ‘wrong’ side. I’m so confused. :??

Here is the pattern:

Step 1: CO 72 st.

Front Flap

1. Rib (1,1) 18 st, k6, p1, k1, p1, k1, p16, k1, p1, k1, p1, k6, Rib (1,1) 18 st.
  2. Rib (1,1) 18 st, p6, k1, p1, k1, p1, k16, p1, k1, p1, k1, p6, Rib (1,1) 18 st.
  3. Same as 1.
  4. Same as 2.
  5. Same as 1.
  6. Same as 2.
  7. Same as 1.
  8. Same as 2.
  9. Rib (1,1) 18 st, C6F, p1, k1, p1, k1, p16, k1, p1, k1, p1, C6F, Rib (1,1) 18 st.

Now I HAD the cables on row 8, but they ended up on the WS, so I added another row; but it still didn’t work! Someone help me out here?

I’ve never heard of that. :thinking: The cables should be worked on the right side so you’re knitting the stitches of the cable, so having it on row 9 is correct.

How are your working the cable itself?

Slip the first three stitches onto the cable needle, knit 3 stitches with cable needle in front, then knit the three stitches from the cable needle.

Basically the same as in the Irish Hiking Scarf pattern.

Yet the cable is ending up inside? There are two types of cable–where you hold the cable needle in front and where you hold the cable needle in back. It affects the way the cable leans, but I guess I just can’t envision how it’s on the inside. Can you post a picture?

I’ve already taken it out twice, but if it messes up again I will post a picture. sigh Thanks Ingrid.

I don’t have a picture, but it still didn’t work. I think it’s because the stockinette pattern that was supposed to be on the front, ended up on the back; so the cable just didn’t look right? :thinking: I’m not really sure, but I just frogged it and am re-writing the pattern. I didn’t care for the way it was turning out anyways.

Only bad thing is that the yarn broke halfway through the frogging. Grrrrr! Very sad. Hopefully my new version I will like better. Maybe I"ll try some tear-drops or something. Hmmmmm… I should practice first though.