Cables

I’m trying to knit my first cabled piece where I have to do cable in front and cable in back. Cable in front is fine, but when I do the cable in back I end up with a hole in it…any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong?

Cables do have a bit of a hole–where the cables cross, the stitches are not connected, but generally you don’t see it.

Are you sure you’re slipping your stitches purlwise? That would make a difference. :think:

Is there any way you can post a picture?

Not sure how I was slipping the stitches…purl-wise would be just slidding it to the opposite need correct? I’ll have to redo it to take a picture of it, I got mad and took it apart :smiley:

You could try using a different kind of cable needle. I know most people use the “wing” shaped ones, but I like the “J” shaped ones…they have a bit more weight, and I let them hang down while I am knitting or purling the stitches that are not on the cable needle–I find that my cables look better. I think it’s because when the stitches are hanging down, they are pulled a bit tighter…but then it could just be me. :slight_smile:

I use a dpn as my cable needle… Also, I noticed that when I cable, I have to knit a bit tighter than I would on a knit or purl row to help close the gap where the cables cross.