Cables not working

I am trying to achieve the proper look of my sweater front, but cannot seem to interpret the pattern correctly. The instructions specify to follow chart for RS rows and on WS rows to work Sts. As the y appear and P yo’s. I have tried this a number of different ways and do not end up with a cable look for those stitches. I end up with a bunch of angled dashes. What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone help???

1 P6, CB(S4, K3, K4), P6
3 P5, CF(S4, K3, K1), K1, CB(S1, K3, K1), P5
5 P4, CF(S4, K3, K1), K3, CB(S1, K3, K1), P4
7 P3, CF(S4, K3, K1), K1, PSSO, YO, K2, CB(S1, K3, K1), P3
9 P2, CF(S4, K3, K1), K1, PSSO, YO, K1, YO, K2TOG, K1, CB(S1, K3, K1), P2
11 P1, CF(S4, K3, K1), K1, PSSO, YO, K1, YO, K2TOG, K1, CB(S1, K3, K1), P1
13 CF(S4, K3, K1), K1, PSSO, YO, K5, YO, K2TOG, K1, CB(S1, K3, K1)
15 P4, PSSO, YO, K7, YO, K2TOG, P4
:oops:

[size=2]edit - [color=violet]mod squad was here[/color][/size]

It’s hard to tell from what you posted exactly what it’s supposed to look like. How many stitches are in your cables? Are the directions in partentheses the cable directions they give you, or the stitches after the cables? Is this a pattern that we can look at on-line? If it’s in a book, which one–one of us might have it.

Sorry for all the questions, but I’d really like to help but don’t want to steer your wrong.

The number in the partentheses are the cable stitiches and the are supposed to end up in a v. The pattern is from Inspiration Nr 61 S 3 pattern No.4996
Please reference the attached files.

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t find any attached files.

This is a confusing one, all right. :thinking: the K1 confuses me on some of the cable directions. Maybe you can try a link again.

I guess my file was too big. I am trying again. I’d appreciate any help.

This is a pretty complicated pattern, but the directions for each cable symbol on the chart is pretty explicit, so I don’t think I can improve on that. Are you reading every charted row from right to left? The even rows aren’t on the chart, so you work those stitches as they appear–knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you.

One tip to help save time reading the pattern is to color the cable combinations on the key and color the ones on the chart the same, so you can find them easily to refer to them.

Should I be reading from right to left? I have been reading from left to right, because of the key.

I have never seen a chart where the right side row is read left to right.

Two things tell me that this should be read right to left–the above statement, and the fact that the numbers of the rows are on the right. I think that this has been the issue. Give it a shot, I think you’ll see a huge difference.

I think the reason the key is written that way is because of the direction the cables lean and what stitches end up where after it’s done.