Cables help

I don’t understand how to work the rows of cables. I know how to do the cables. I don’t understand the instructions. I think I am over thinking it.
Pattern is… Midwinter Cardigan. (sweater shown on Ravelry) this sweater is knit from side to side from the bottom up. I have never done a sweater like this all in one piece.

[B]Pattern[/B]
Next row (RS): K2, work Row 5 of cable pattern, k to 20 sts from end, work Row 11 of cable pattern, k to end.
I did this and understand it.

I think I just knit each row as it comes. 1 through 4 then on Row 5 I knit the C12L, k6 at the beginning and end of that row…same with row 11 using the K6, C12R. Not sure if this is correct.

Cable Pattern
18 st Braid Cable Left
Row 1 (RS): Knit all sts
Row 2 and all even rows: Purl all sts.
Row 3: Knit all sts
Row 5: C12l, k6.
Row 7: Knit all sts.
Row 9 Knit all sts.
Row 11: K6, C12R.
Row 12: Purl all sts.

Please help…I am stuck!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Yes, knit the cable pattern at the beginning and end of the row along with the knit 6 but the pattern is calling for a different cable on each side. On the right front start with row 5 of the pattern and on the left front, with row 11. This will give you mirror images of the cables on the fronts.
So the pattern will look like this on the needles: 2-X-6-----------------6-X-2.
To do this, keep separate count of the rows for each side, at least initially. After a cable or two, you’ll be able to see te pattern and continue the cable crosses correctly.

Hi Salmanmac,

Thank you for the welcome!
I figured out what the problem was at about 1:00 am yesterday. It was driving me crazy and believe me I don’t have far to go to get there. :teehee: I just couldn’t let go of it. I knew it was simple. I am used to following a chart. I was forgetting to take into account the all important set up row and the 20 stitches from start to finish in that row.
Thanks so much for confirming that I was on the right track…:muah:

Hi!

I too am struggling with this pattern.

IS THIS RIGHT for the Cable Pattern?
Row 1 Knit all sts
Row 2 Purl all sts
Row 3 Knit all sts
Row 4 Purl all sts
Row 5 C12L, K6 at the beginning of the row then knit to the end of the row
Row 6 Purl all sts
Row 7 Knit all sts
Row 8 Purl all sts
Row 9 Knit all sts
Row 10 Purl all sets
Row 11 Knit to 18 sts remain then K6, C12R
Row 12 Purl all sts

Cheers
Joanna

Welcome to KH!
I may have had access to the pattern several years ago but I don’t have it now. Does the pattern give you a braid cable for the left front and a braid cable pattern for the right front or are both cables worked from the same chart? Are both rows 5 and 11 cable cross rows?

You should work the instructions starting with a row 5 cable at the beginning of the row and a row 11 cable at the end of the row.

Thank you for your prompt reply and welcome!

Yes the pattern is exactly how you describe it and I did knit it like you say however the cable was not as seen in the picture.

So on Row 5 do I cable at the beginning of the row and at the end of the row cable Row 11? And then on Row 11 I do the same?

This is what I did and it didn’t look like the photo the crossover was too often/soon!

Cheers!

This is the instructions for the Braid Cable Left that were posted several years ago:

18 st Braid Cable Left
Row 1 (RS): Knit all sts
Row 2 and all even rows: Purl all sts.
Row 3: Knit all sts
Row 5: C12l, k6.
Row 7: Knit all sts.
Row 9 Knit all sts.
Row 11: K6, C12R.
Row 12: Purl all sts.
Are these the same as the ones you’re working from? It looks like there’s a cable cross every 6 rows. The only difference would be where the beginning of the row cable starts and where the end of the row cable starts in the sequence of rows.

Yes, on Row 5 you would work a row 5 cross at the beg of the row and a row 11 cross at the end of the row. After you work rows 6,7,8,9, and 10 at the beg of the row, work row 11 at the beg of the row. That’ll mean that at the same time, you’ve worked rows 12,1,2,3,and 4 at the end of the row and are ready for a row 5 at the end of the row.

Oh thank you again you are very prompt and patient!

Okay so I understand what you say to do on Row 5. What I did on Row 11 was at the beginning of the row I cabled row 5 and then cabled row 11 at the end of the row. So I will cable at the beginning of Row 11 what do i do at tge end of the row?

Sorry I am still not clear what you mean here: “That’ll mean that at the same time, you’ve worked rows 12,1,2,3,and 4 at the end of the row and are ready for a row 5 at the end of the row”

Thank you!

This may be easier because it has the actual RS row numbers along the left. Call the “next row”, row 1
Row 1, beg of row, cable row 5; end of row, cable row 11
Row 3, beg of row, cable row 7; end of row, cable row 1
Row 5, beg of row, cable row 9; end of row, cable row 3
Row 7, beg of row, cable row 11; end of row, cable row 5
Row 9, beg of row, cable row 1; end of row, cable row 7
Row 11 beg of row, cable row 3; end of row, cable row 9
After row 12 (a WS row), the sequence repeats.

(Actually, this kind of list makes it easier for me to understand too.)

Aaargh! Now I am more confused!

I like that you have listed the rows however it looks like I will be cabling on every knit row!! WHAT!

I have knitted many cable jumpers and other styles over the years and have never come across a pattern so hard to understand! I thought I was up for the challenge.

It looks as though I have been beaten down and may need to change to another pattern!

I do appreciate your help!

Sorry for the confusion. The only cable cross rows are the ones bolded below.
Row 1, beg of row, cable row 5; end of row, cable row 11
Row 3, beg of row, cable row 7; end of row, cable row 1
Row 5, beg of row, cable row 9; end of row, cable row 3
Row 7, beg of row, cable row 11; end of row, cable row 5
Row 9, beg of row, cable row 1; end of row, cable row 7
Row 11 beg of row, cable row 3; end of row, cable row 9

The other rows are basically knit the knits and purl the purls as you see them. Give it a try, maybe with scrap yarn and only a few sts between the cables at the beg and end of the row. That may help clear up the confusion