Cables and holes

I’ve searched KH and Google, but I can’t seem to find the answer to my question.

I’m making “Here and There Cables” from [I]Scarf Style[/I] for my son. It’s a ribbed pattern with cables. On the cable row, I slip 6 stitches to my cable needle. Then I p1, k3, p1. Then I slip the last stitch from the cable needle back to the left needle and purl it. Then I purl1, kn3, and p1 from my cable needle. Then I move back to the left needle and p3, k3, and p2. Then I repeat that to the end.

Excuse the horrible photography. My battery is about dead on the camera, and I need a new camera anyway. When I look at my scarf just lying there, things look fine. This is supposed to be a reversible scarf. If I turn it over or stretch out the fabric a bit, you see holes at the cable. That’s a long stretch in there at that cable.

What I’m wondering is if this is common and normal and ok with cables or is there something I need to do differently? I don’t want to keep working on this 72" scarf if I’m doing the cables wrong.

The hole I’m referring to is under my thumb. Again, sorry for the horrible photography.

It is normal for there to be gaps in cables, but generally washing or blocking it evens out the sts. So will the weight of the piece as it gets longer.

That’s just the nature of the cables. As mentioned, once you finish the piece and wash/block it it will look great. First time I did cables I thought I was doing something horribly wrong but once the piece was finished it looked just fine.

Thanks, guys! That makes me feel better! Can’t wait to wash and block it!