Cable Sweater (Bernat)

Hi
I am trying to knit this cable sweater . It’s a very beautiful piece to knit and I am hoping to knit it. I am doing medium size. Pattern said using smaller needle to start and the total of stiches on neddles are 102 . Change to large needle to start cable patterns . This cable patterns will be in position on row 1 and 2 .
Pattern said, continue in pat, inc 1 st each end of needle on the 6th and following 14th row. Total stiches will be 106 ( size medium ).
My question is , do I start the increase stiches at the beginning and the end of 6th row and then do the same increase for row 14th ?

Please advice me
Jackie W

1 Like

Because the pattern says to increase on the “following 14th row”, increase on rows 6 and 20.

Lovely cable pattern!

Hi
Thanks . It’s make sense now. So, I will make the increase at Beginning and End of row 6th (2 sts increase ) and the same for row 20th (2 sts increase) ?? Which I will have 106 sts on needle for medium size. Is that correct ??
Please advice
Thanks again
Jackie W

1 Like

That’s right. Enjoy knitting this sweater.

1 Like

Let us know how you get on. I’m interested in knitting this one :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi
Thank you

1 Like

Hi,
I have a question regarding this patterns pullover. It’s regarding Panel Pattern B and Panel Pattern C. Both panels are written up to Row 7th only and Row 8th is to work as Row 6th. To continue working my piece up to 14 and half inches (size M), do I repeat from the 1st Row again for panel Pattern B and the same with pattern C??
Please advice me
Thank you
Jackie W

Unless the pattern tells you that there are set up rows in the charts, then yes, repeat the 8 row charts until you reach the given length. Usually the pattern tells you to continue, repeating the charts but not always.

Thank you
Jackie W

Hi,
It’s been a while. I had put this pattern (Bernard Cable Sweater) down for a few months. Only start to pick it up again recently. Very lazy of me!! Anyway, I have finished one sleeve. When I measured it, it’s 2 ins too long. I am doing size (M) and the chart pattern for sleeve should have a finished 24ins. Question.
Sleeve shape top. Pattern said rep last 2 rows 9 times.I did 18 rows total and last part its need 16 rows to work until end with 9 sts. Hope these parts are right. Beginning part of pattern sleeve, I had make adjustments, it’s also too long. I had reduced a few rows. Do I need to reduce/shortern the last part of sleeve pattern more. Please direct me as I am so lost and confused as not sure why my sleeve end up 2 ins extra long . Thank you
Jackie Woolard

You can shorten the sleeves before the Shape Top directions. The sleeve measures 18 inches at that point according to the schematic. Take out the 2 inches there making the sleeve 16 inches to the beginning of the Shape Top.

I’m glad you’ve gone back to this pretty cable sweater. Your row gauge may be slightly off the pattern gauge. That happens and since stitch gauge is more important in this pattern it’s not uncommon.

Hi ,
Thank you. I am going to give it another try again.
Jackie Woolard

1 Like

Hi
Please help me to understand this part of pattern sleeve. I think I had misread the pattern from start , eventhough the amount of sts are right. Please correct me. After it’s said Panel Part B and C in position. Keeping cont pat, inc 1 st each end of needle on next and every following 6th row.
This is what I done . Row 3rd (RS) , inc 1st at beg, cont pattern, inc 1 st at end. Then the next inc are Row 9th, 15th and so on until 67 sts. I found out it’s has made my work way too long!!
Another question which confused me, after I achieve 67 sts, the inc will be on the following 8th row, until 71 sts, taking inc sts into stoking st. My question is, does the pattern read, from start Row 3rd (RS), I need to do inc beg and end of needle. Then Row 4th (WS) , inc beg and end of needle. Then following every 6th Row??
Please advice me again.
Desperate
Jackie Woolard

The pattern sets up the panels in rows 1 and 2. The next row would be row 3 and from there it’s every 6th row as you posted (rows 3,9,15, etc). You’ve got that correctly.
The problem is likely with row gauge. You could take out a bit of the top of the sleeve and increase more frequently. Ideally you would have known this from the beginning and maybe made your increases every 4th row but not many knitters would recognize this. (I probably wouldn’t unless something on the front or back called row gauge into question.)
How many sts do you start the sleeve with and what is the pattern row gauge?

Hi,
Pattern sleeve with small needle start with cast on 47 sts. Change to large needle for pattern. Gauge 17sts and 24 rows with large needle in stocking st.
Thanks
Jackie Woolard

Well assuming the sleeve pattern and stockinette are the same gauge (they likely aren’t but maybe close), the sleeve length with increases works out to about 18" to the underarm bind off (Cast off 4sts beg of next 2 rows.)

There are increases every 6th row 10 times so that’s 60rows. There are then increases every 8th row 2 times which is 16 rows. That’s 76 total rows and at 24 rows/4" that 12.7". If you worked 4.5" for the cuff it totals 17.2"

Hi
May I ask the part you mentioned, at 24 rows/4"that12.7". Which part is that please??
Thanks
Jackie Woolard

I was thinking of the sleeve but it could be any part of the sweater knit mostly in stockinette.
(It should have read, that’s 12.7" meaning that 76 rows translates to 12.7 inches.

Hi
I had managed to finished sleeve up to 18inches. Question again on sleeve. I had made a rough rows count need for sleeve Shape Top. Pattern said

Chart said, finished piece 6inches (M) size . My rough count are around 40 rows, start from cast off 4 stiches for 2 rows and finish with 9 stiches on needle. It’s too long. I might have misread pattern again. Please advise. Thank you
Jackie Woolard

Yes, it works out to about 40 rows. You can work more decreases (say at the “work even in pat.” direction)h but the sleeve top is going to fit into the opening in the body for the sleeve. So if there’s a decrease in the front and back at the armhole and further shaping, the sleeve cap will match that. The cap and the opening don’t have to exactly match because there’s some stretch and give in both but they should be close enough not to pucker.