Cable pattern. What is "work even for 2 rounds?"

Working in the round, here is the pattern.

Cable Rnd 1: K23 slip marker, K2, slip marker, K4, PM, P3, C3F, K3, P3, PM, K4

Cable Rnd 2 and 3: Work even for two rounds.

Cable Rnd 4: K23, sl marker, K2, sl marker, K4, sl marker, P3, K3, C3B, P3, sl marker, K4

Cable Rnd 5 and 6: Work even for 2 rounds.

What does WORK EVEN mean? What would rows 2, 3, 5 and 6 be? Can someone write them out for me?

Thank you so much.

Work even means work w/o any increases, decreases or anything. Just knit (or whatever the basic pattern is).

1 Like

Thanks Jan. I have never done cables before. So does this mean I do the same as cable round 1 two more times with the C3F? If so, the yarn gets really tight and doesn’t look right, so I don’t think that is right.

Otherwise, do I do like the round before I started the cable round? Where between the cable markers I would P3, K9, P3? I am going to try this method, but not sure if it will work right either.

I am SOOO confused. :frowning:

Hi 4deegees!

As Jan said, “work even” means not to increase or decrease, but in this case, it also means to work in your established pattern. I would write the instructions out for you, but I’m not sure what your C3F looks like. I guess the easiest explanation is to tell you to knit your knitted sts (smooth) and purl your purled sts (bumpy).

Hope that helps!

<<Working in the round, here is the pattern.

Cable Rnd 1: K23 slip marker, K2, slip marker, K4, PM, P3, C3F, K3, P3, PM, K4

Cable Rnd 2 and 3: Work even for two rounds.

Cable Rnd 4: K23, sl marker, K2, sl marker, K4, sl marker, P3, K3, C3B, P3, sl marker, K4

Cable Rnd 5 and 6: Work even for 2 rounds.

What does WORK EVEN mean? What would rows 2, 3, 5 and 6 be? Can someone write them out for me? >>

Can you provide a link to this pattern? Right off the bat I see something wrong…Cable Rnd 1 says C3F, then you’re supposed to work rounds 2 and 3 in the same manner as round 1, which would mean cabling three successive rounds. This is wrong and not how to knit a cable. Next thing I see wrong is Rnd 4 as the next cable row. This row would end up being the back side of the item and as many cables as I’ve made in my life I’ve never made a cable on the back side of my project. Usually cable rows are all even numbers or all uneven numbers depending on which side you consider row 1.

JudyD

You don’t just repeat round 1, you can’t cross sts on all the rounds, there needs to be ‘plain’ rounds in between them. So on rounds 2 and 3 you won’t do the cable crosses, just knit or purl according to the sts. A basic cable pattern is like ribbing except when you cross, so just knit what look like knit sts, and purl what looks like purls.

No wonder I am having so much trouble! The pattern is for cabled gloves. I copied it out of a friend’s book, so I don’t have a link to the pattern. All I want is a glove with a single cable going up the back of the hand. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks Sue, I will try that.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this. I finally have it working and it looks great. :slight_smile: