Cable pattern confusing

Hello!

I’ve found the pattern to a cardigan that is precisely what I wanted. The challenge is that I am confused by some of the instructions.

[B]First question:[/B]

BACK
Cast on 98 (114, 120, 132, 142) sts. Beg with a
WS row and working first st after selvage st as a k
st, work in rib pat for 1¼“/3cm. Work in cable/rib
pat as foll: Selvage st, work 3 (0, 3, 3, 0) sts bet
arrow c and arrow a 2 (0, 1, 3, 0) times, rep sts bet
arrows a and b 6 (8, 8, 8, 10) times, work 3 (0, 3,
3, 0) sts bet arrow b and arrow d 2 (0, 1, 3, 0)
times, selvage st. Work until piece measures
16½“/41cm after rib pat.

I am knitting the XL one, so the third one within the brackets. Here is the diagram with the arrows. I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do between arrows c and a… or a and b. Can anyone clarify?

[B]Second question:[/B]

So I perform the binding off 8 for 4 rows, then 9 for 4 rows… while I’m doing that, I follow the cable pattern for 24 stitches, then let go of that yarn, join another ball and using that one bind off 24, then follow the pattern for 24 (the end of that row). Once that’s done, I work both sides with the appropriate ball for each side, the first row I bind off 3 more stitches at the centre for each side, then the row after that 2 more stitches, then I’m done the back?

Shape shoulders
Bind off 5 (7, 7, 8, 9) sts at beg of next 4 rows,
then bind off 5 (7, 8, 9, 10) sts at beg of foll 4
rows, and, AT SAME TIME, shape neck as foll:
Work to center 22 (22, 22, 24, 24) sts, join another
ball of yarn, bind off center 22 (22, 22, 24, 24) sts,
work to end. Working both sides at once, bind off
3 sts at each neck edge once, then 2 sts once.

Here is the cardigan in case it helps.

Use the chart key to tell you which sts are the black boxes (probably knit sts) and which are the figured boxes (probably purl sts) and read the chart right to left.
Work in cable/rib pat as foll:
Selvage st, work 3 sts bet arrow c and arrow a 3times,
[U]That looks like (p1, k2) repeat 3x[/U]
rep sts bet arrows a and b 8 times,
[U]This is the cable panel and its flanking sts, (k2,p2, cable panel, p2, k2) repeat 8times.[/U]
work 3 sts bet arrow b and arrow d 3 times, selvage st.
[U]Here it’s (k2,p1) 3 times.[/U]
it may help to circle the directions for your size to make reading this less confusing. Once you get the first few rows set the pattern will be clear to you and you’ll only have to keep track of when to cross the cables.

Yes, for the shoulders and neck shaping, that’s right. remember that you bind off [I]to[/I] the center 24sts. I’m not sure how many sts you have at that point because there may be armhole shaping. You won’t be able to bind off at the end of the row so you’ll turn and bind off at the beginning of the next row at both the neck and shoulders. That offset of one row won’t matter.

Elegant sweater!

Thank you for the reply! Yes, black are knit and dashed are purl stitches.

So, in other words, the chart below is only for the smallest size, for other sizes I should re-draw the pattern in MS Excel or something to account for the additional stitches as there’ll be more ribbing, or space, between the cables? It’s just not clear in my mind… sorry if I’m being obtuse :\

I’ve bolded my size below.

BACK
Cast on 98 (114, 120, [B]132[/B], 142) sts. Beg with a
WS row and working first st after selvage st as a k,
st, work in rib pat for 1¼“/3cm. Work in cable/rib
pat as foll: Selvage st, work 3 (0, 3, [B]3[/B], 0) sts bet
arrow c and arrow a 2 (0, 1, [B]3[/B], 0) times, rep sts bet
arrows a and b 6 (8, 8, [B]8[/B], 10) times, work 3 (0, 3,
[B]3[/B], 0) sts bet arrow b and arrow d 2 (0, 1, [B]3[/B], 0)
times, selvage st. Work until piece measures
16½“/41cm after rib pat.

Planning the chart in Excell or some other charting program is a great way to visualize the pattern. Actually the chart as given doesn’t even work for the smallest size. Even for the first size a full chart might help. It may also help to put markers on the needle after repeats to keep you on track for the first few rows.
Yes, there’s going to be more ribbing at the edges. The cable pattern column is still going to alternate with a knit column but the number of repeats of the sets of both will vary. You’ll only need to chart the first couple of rows since from there on the knitting will set the pattern for you to see.

Thank you :slight_smile:
It’s all starting to make sense!