Booga Bag

Hey, Everybody! Im having problems understand what this meens while Im making my Booga Bag!

• Pick up and knit twisted 16 stitches along first edge of rectangle. There are 17 ridges, so you just pick up one stitch between each ridge.
  • Pick up and knit 34 stitches along the bottom of your rectangle.
  • Pick up 16 stitches along last edge as you did for the first edge.

Can someone please explain this to me? Thankyou SO much, I really appreciate ALL the help I can get. Pictures would be awesome.

Hi! There is a video of how to pick up stitches here (scroll down to “assorted topics”). The pattern tells you how many stitches to pick up on each side of your base rectangle. I don’t think anyone has figured out what the pattern means by “pick up and knit twisted” - we have just done a regular “pick up and knit” like that shown in the video and the bag has come out fine. Hopefully that answered your question. Good luck!

Knitting through the back loop should produce a twisted stitch, I think.

yep, knit through the bach of the loop to twist it…I think there is a photo somewhere on the web page or a link that shows you how to do it.
here it is http://www.anniesattic.com/knitting/content.html?content_id=165

New Question (Sorry!) I just now finished casting on my 35 rows on my Booga bag, and Im about to start this step :

Now you are going to pick up stitches all around your rectangle and begin knitting in the round. Pick up and knit stitches as follows:

• Pick up and knit twisted 16 stitches along first edge of rectangle. There are 17 ridges, so you just pick up one stitch between each ridge.
  • Pick up and knit 34 stitches along the bottom of your rectangle.
  • Pick up 16 stitches along last edge as you did for the first edge.

But heres the question…
Should I bind my work off, or keep it on the circular needle?

More than likely you keep it on the circs. If you arent sure what the “pick up and knit twisted” means, you knit through the back loop instead of the front. I tried it in a sock pattern and it really does twist the stitches and makes them tighter so they dont become loose!

Oh gosh… Im so confused. I guess I’ll try and do the
Now you are going to pick up stitches all around your rectangle and begin knitting in the round. Pick up and knit stitches as follows: on the circular needle then. It shouldn’t take too long… right? Haha. I’ll tell everyone how it goes.

Oh gosh… Im so confused. I guess I’ll try and do the
Now you are going to pick up stitches all around your rectangle and begin knitting in the round. Pick up and knit stitches as follows: on the circular needle then. It shouldn’t take too long… right? Haha. I’ll tell everyone how it goes.

Okay, Everybody… I am so frustrated right now…

I binded off my work so far… and it looks like this.

I just dont understand what I should do to “pick up stitches all around your rectangle,” etc. etc. etc.

Actually, for the Booga Bag, you should have left your stitches on the needle, and started picking up stitches down the short side of the bottom closest to the tip of your working needle, around the long side and up the other short side.

Don’t despair, though. Just start by picking up stitches all the way around, starting with the upper right hand corner of the rectangle as you hold it horizontally. The end result will be the same.

I figured that out…
But should I just… loop some yarn through the loops across the sides, instead of knitting it?

Have you looked at the video for picking up stitches? You pull yarn through the edge stitches onto your needle. In this case you’d do it all the way around the rectangle. It will be awkward making the turns at first, but as you knit a few rows it will become easier.

Yes, and it barely helped me. Im doing this on a circular needle, so I had one side of the needle hanging onto the top long rectangular section while the rest was making a tour around the project… when I was done putting the needle through the sides… I was like… Okay. Now what do I do with the needle thats still in the upper portion of my work?

You’ll work one tip all around the edge. Eventually the two tips will meet, and then you’ll start knitting in the round.

Don’t despair, I can’t figure it out either. I’m not that advanced.

Don’t give up. The Booga is a lot of fun. Just start by picking up the stitches when you’re done let us know and one of us will guide you in the next step. I’ll check back in a little while.